Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-23-2021, 07:21 PM
M1fuzz M1fuzz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NE Nebraska
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Yup. . . .
Lyman #311291, sized .311”, 167 grain w/my alloy (hard)
39.5 grs. (DuPont) IMR 4895, WW Primer
1 5/8” 10-shot group @100 yds.

Please notice, I said TEN (10) shot group!! . . .NOT the 3 or 5 shot groups I now see that SUPPOSEDLY qualify as an ACCURATE rifle. (Just another part of the “dumbing-down” of America . . . . like our police departments switching to 9 mm autos in order to allow more “limp-wristed” officers to qualify.)
You have any data to substantiate your 9mm claim? Because, in my opinion as a current LEO and firearms instructor, your claim is BS.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 AM
JimF JimF is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fuzz View Post
You have any data to substantiate your 9mm claim? Because, in my opinion as a current LEO and firearms instructor, your claim is BS.
Only what I was told by my “higher-ups” when I was a LEO in the early 60’s.
__________________
--Jim
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2021, 02:33 PM
M1fuzz M1fuzz is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NE Nebraska
Posts: 280
Default

Roger. Yeah, things have changed w/ the 9mm in the last couple years.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Only what I was told by my “higher-ups” when I was a LEO in the early 60’s.
Doesn't the smell test.

ANY semi auto needs a firmer wrist than a revolver. Which was the standard for LEO in the 60s.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-25-2021, 03:34 PM
JimF JimF is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,390
Default

For those that are so inclined . . . .

See American Rifleman, June 1953, page 20, for a five-page article with many pictures of cast bullets in the M1.
__________________
--Jim
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-28-2021, 09:31 PM
thorswhisper thorswhisper is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Louisiana
Posts: 249
Default Checked or not?

Am I to take it, Cast bullets for the Garand would all be gas checked?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-28-2021, 10:42 PM
ceresco ceresco is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,065
Default

Generally.....most .30cal bullet molds are for gas checked bullets, designed for velocities over 1000fps. You can find plain base, swaged lead bullets, but they are softer and designed for lower velocity. I have read that you can use cast bullets without the gas checks, but the few times I tried, they were inaccurate. If you have any interest in cast bullets, the Lyman books are where you start. Good Shooting. ..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-29-2021, 07:59 AM
JimF JimF is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswhisper View Post
Am I to take it, Cast bullets for the Garand would all be gas checked?
Almost exclusively, . . . .yes.

Keep in mind, lead bullets in factory rounds are usually swaged from lead “wire” . . . .they need to be almost dead soft because of the swaging machinery. (Some factory loads are from cast lead (harder alloy) and usually state that on the box.)
__________________
--Jim
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-29-2021, 09:21 AM
milprileb milprileb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saigon, RVN
Posts: 3,089
Default

Just a note on worn bores. Some here have rifles with worn bores and don't need to be beaten anymore with modern velocity ammo. Older wood, collector historic rifles etc etc can safely be put back on firing line and shot accurately with cast bullets and less than NASA fueled loads. For 100 yd shooting to 300 yd shooting, a properly cast bullet with CE Harris "The Load" will bring in hours of economical, accurate shooting and low recoil , less wear & tear on old rifles. Properly sized and properly lubed cast bullets can turn an old rifle back to darn accurate. Now you may have to manually operate your oprod if its a M1 Rifle ...horrors of horrors to some LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-05-2021, 08:51 PM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Just a note on worn bores. Some here have rifles with worn bores and don't need to be beaten anymore with modern velocity ammo. Older wood, collector historic rifles etc etc can safely be put back on firing line and shot accurately with cast bullets and less than NASA fueled loads. For 100 yd shooting to 300 yd shooting, a properly cast bullet with CE Harris "The Load" will bring in hours of economical, accurate shooting and low recoil , less wear & tear on old rifles. Properly sized and properly lubed cast bullets can turn an old rifle back to darn accurate. Now you may have to manually operate your oprod if its a M1 Rifle ...horrors of horrors to some LOL.
I have done just this with a few worn tubes. I run a 130gn plain base at around 1150 fps out of several tired rifles. its fun and meant for milk jug hunting
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.