Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2021, 01:26 PM

I picked up this tip from another forum (or maybe it was here, a long time ago). It works like magic. Wish I had thought of it.

Go to McDonalds and get one of their (plastic) straws. It has to be McD's, because they use a larger "caliber" straw than other places. Slide the straw into the groove on the back of the RC's ram until it is flush with the top of the ram with no shell holder in place. Trim the straw to length to where it ends right where the groove starts to taper out.

Primers will be deposited politely in the black plastic "junk drawer".

If your state outlawed plastic straws, you may have to go a more expensive route.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I just let them pile up on the floor. When they get too deep, I vacuum them up along with all the spilled powder. I know that will distress the purists. Good Shooting. ...
I do the same, usually along with a few live ones in the mix.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:55 AM

Instead of a McDonalds' straw, I have used a piece of foam caulking backer rod in the primer slot at the front of my RCBS Rock Chucker IV to prevent spent primers from exiting the wrong way.
Appleseed Instructor
Old 04-23-2021, 03:23 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
I have a Rock Chucker, and since 1968 have never had a satisfactory solution to primers going everywhere when de priming. Tried a lot of solutions ...no cigar.

I bought a solution from Inlinefabrications.com. THey make it for all versions of the Rock Chucker. I have bought a lot of items from this firm like roller handles and they sell great stuff.

I am here today to state, the solutions sold to me now captures 100 percent of primers and sends them down a tube into the trash can. I am stunned...and overjoyed.

Every time I list a link the moderators have issues so google this firm and check out the solution I just described for the Rock Chucker. End of a 52 year Pain In The Neck !!!!

I have a RCBS case kicker installed on this Rock Chucker and it still functions with this new primer capture device. No issues at all.

If you don't know what a case kicker is, its been out of production from RCBS for a few decades but Inline makes their version and its worth a look. If you go to You Tube and type in case kicker, you will see some videos of various types including the original RCBS version. If you have some banding material, you can fabricate one yourself and install in about any single stage press. I have a monstrous huge Herters Super "O" press of my fathers , I made a case kicker out of scrap material and rigged that old Herters up with one.

Case Kicker Give that a look, whether original RCBS, new versions or DIY fabricated, they save a step and are very handy. If anyone wants to see my set up, pm me with your ph. # and I'll text you photos.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM48YoWUrhE
I just put a cardboard box under the bench below the press. Been doing it for 50 years. It catches most. The final solution is my handy dandy shop vac for final cleanup on the floor. Simple task. The Chucker does have a crummy primer catcher for certain I'll admit that. But 40 years of service is something hard to argue with as far as press quality.

I will, though, check out the link you posted. But, price makes the difference and if that device is expensive I still have my cardboard box and shop vac, LOL.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:12 PM

I also glued a but of foam in the slot in the ram to guide primers down it. But also made a catch system to help guide the primers into the slot and a tube to catch them. I do think if I had filled in the slot first, the guide might not have been necessary

https://postimg.cc/F7FXXH8g
Old 04-27-2021, 08:16 AM

Last Shot : I tried the McDonalds straw solution : half best at best. Guys, I just got tired of the darn nonsense of primers going anywhere they wanted and the Inlinefabrication solution ended the drama. Nuff is nuff..jezzzzzzzz half a century and my patience is red lined on primers all over the deck.

THat case kicker....pure gold !!!!

My Supply of McDonald Straws , boxes under press ..all available free to those needing them free...you pay postage.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:55 AM

just made one using an old hacksaw blade to make the spring. had to heat it to do the bending and all looked great but shades of "Forged in Fire", i had heated the metal after the bending and quenched in water. a couple hours later the puppy was chewing on something and it was half of the spring. It had cracked in two. obviously my temper needs some work!

suggestions for something a bit more forgiving to make the spring out of?

Did major redesign and used a small strap hinge and a coil spring. the chute is held on by some little super magnets that are glued under the chute and stick to the press. I made it so the brass drops right into the hopper of the dillon square deal that is right next the rock chucker

https://postimg.cc/gallery/JLhw3VX
https://postimg.cc/gallery/zvsM9Lc

Last edited by terry_b; 04-30-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: nwq dwaign
Old 04-28-2021, 06:50 AM

Terry,

I made a DIY case kicker using metal banding material . Bent it with pliers and off to the races. With a C Clamp, I attached this to my bench along side an ancient Herters Super O press and that press now has a "case kicker".
Old 04-28-2021, 03:27 PM

Default RCBS primer catchers

I've used these primer catchers with my three Rock Chucker presses for ~45 years. 'Never had a problem with dropped or sticking primers. The cast aluminum primer catcher attaches with a rubber band around the press to the two posts. Scroll r/l for pix.
https://flic.kr/p/2kVB8fH,
https://flic.kr/p/2kVvsnd,
https://flic.kr/p/2kVrYGA
Old 04-30-2021, 12:44 PM

I have had the Inline Fab case ejector and primer catcher on my RCIV for about 6 years now. They work well enough. Way better than not having them. The ejector doesn't work great for small cases like 9mm, but its still good enough. There are two flaws in the primer catcher. First, the inside isn't sloped enough for primers to naturally fall into the tube, and thus they can start piling up there until you tap them down. I fixed that with a dremel to create the slope. The second issue is that the ram has that open slot in the front that can occasionally spit out a primer. I cut a sliver of open-cell foam to fit in there to solve that.