Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2021, 10:02 PM

Default Time for new scale...

My Dillon balance beam scale is jumping from the bottom to the top with only a couple granulars of power. I guess the beam pivots or sockets are worn or damaged. What is a good quality beam scale that you guys like. I'll probably just order another Dillon but I thought I would check here first. Jim
Old 04-26-2021, 11:06 PM

Jim, Have you reached out to Dillon?
Also, it looks awful similar to the 5-0-5 scale from RCBS ---have you checked into seeing if RCBS has inserts for the pivots and/or new arm kit?
I looked at my scale (RCBS - made by Ohaus) and it has nylon blocks for the pivot arm. The manual only states no lubrication required and to keep the magnet clear of any ferrous particles that could throw the magnetic dampening field out of whack.

Last edited by AzMedic; 04-26-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMedic View Post
Jim, Have you reached out to Dillon?
Also, it looks awful similar to the 5-0-5 scale from RCBS ---have you checked into seeing if RCBS has inserts for the pivots and/or new arm kit?
I looked at my scale (RCBS - made by Ohaus) and it has nylon blocks for the pivot arm. The manual only states no lubrication required and to keep the magnet clear of any ferrous particles that could throw the magnetic dampening field out of whack.
The RCBS/Ohaus have held up on my bench for decades. Good suggestion for the replacement parts. You win 2 stars for today.
Dillon may even send replacement parts of a new scale if you send them a really nice letter.
RVN 67-68
Old 04-27-2021, 05:53 AM

Jim . . . .
When my balance-beam scale would occasionally “stick”, I found it was an IMPERCEPTABLE speck of schmutz on the pivot.
Now . . . .EVERY time I set the scale up, I lightly brush the pivot points on the beam and the “agate” points on the scale body, using a new, “feathery-soft” make-up brush (similar to a photographer’s lens-cleaning brush.)
No more “sticking.”

Might be all you need to do is a cleaning.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:48 AM

I agree with JimF. It is very likely that your balance point is sticking because it is trying to overcome some impediment. Try cleaning the balance point and slot it sits in with some solvent like Ronsonol lighter fluid to eliminate any old oil or crud.

Then keeping it free of dust or powder with the soft brush should keep it working fine.

Check the points with a magnifying glass to see if maybe there is a scratch or ding which is causing it to ride roughly in the slot.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:26 PM

The gents may be correct, but, per the instructions, don't forget to look down into the slot where the flat metal damping plate passes the permanent magnet that induces eddy currents in it to dampen the arm swing. Little bits of steel filings or shards of steel wool and other such stuff can be attracted to the permanent magnet and drag against the damping plate. These can be extremely small and fine, so expect to have to shine a light through the slot and maybe use a magnifier to see them. The will cause the behavior you describe if not cleared out.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 04-29-2021, 06:55 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
The RCBS/Ohaus have held up on my bench for decades. Good suggestion for the replacement parts. You win 2 stars for today.
Dillon may even send replacement parts of a new scale if you send them a really nice letter.
Same experience with the Ohaus reloading scales which sadly are not made anymore . My 1010 is now 51 years old. Checked with weights and dead on the money. One can still find 510 and 1010 Ohaus scales on Ebay in new condition , often still in the box. Bought a new 510 in box last year for 60 bucks as a back up. Most likely will never use it.

Electronic scales can be problematic. My RCBS has a .3 gr error and my Satorious lab scale is bloody accurate ...far too much and drives me nuts. Takes me into molecules of accurate powder charges.

Balance beam scales : I prefer and recommend . If you simply must go electronic, get a set of weights so you know what is going on. That is good advice if you own a balance beam scale as well.

parting shot: Some RCBS / Ohaus lookalike scales were made in Mexico and China. Those I'd avoid at all costs.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:47 AM

Some things I’ve learned by experience…
- Eye-level wall shelf for the beam scale. Do not have scale on the loading bench itself as vibrations from operating the press(es) can disturb the scale. Level scale. Buy check weights.
- Separate wall shelf for electronic scale too for same reason. Level scale, an inexpensive round bullseye bubble level works for this.
- air flow from HVAC vents can cause errors.
- electronic scales need to warm up and stabilize, 20 minutes to half hour. Plug it in as your first step in preparing to reload.
- calibrate after warmed up. Verify with check weights.
- electrical interference from nearby fluorescent lights and cell phones/tablets can cause errors.
- remove pan from electronic scale when not in use.
- make sure pan is clean before starting session
Old 04-30-2021, 02:41 AM

The Dillon scale is no longer listed on their website and is out of stock any place I look. Has it been discontinued? I first visited the Dillon site to see if it is covered under the "No BS" warranty, and that is when I saw they only advertise the digital scale.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:28 AM

I use to use a Lyman M-5 and always worked great. Idiot me got rid of it before a cross country move. I am also struggling with getting a new scale, digital or mechanical. All the digitization scales a Chinese, so hard for me to go that route. Anyone have experience with the Lyman 500 compared to an RCBS 10-10 or 5-10. Prices these days seem to be more reasonable for the Lyman scales than RCBS on EBay.