Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2021, 05:56 AM

I use a battery of powder (mostly RCBS uniflow) dispensers which I set from a RCBS digital scale. I dropped beam scales years ago and will never go back. Tried several of the electronic powder dispensers and they went he same way as the beam scales. Good Shooting. ...
Old 04-28-2021, 06:46 AM

The Lee Scale is a piece of junk. The very first and most important piece of reloading gear is the scale.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:25 AM

Most of the Lee equipment is Mickey Mouse junk. The only Lee products I like are the old model (discontinued) hand primer, primer pocket cleaner and their trim cutter and piolets that I use in my drill press. I do have a couple of die sets but I prefer RCBS.

Lee's powder measure and scale remind me of Play School toys.

Lee's quality control seems to be slipping even more. I purchased a new Lee trim piolet for .357 Mag. The max case length is 1.290" with a trim to length of 1.280". It's too long. I had to use a .357 Maximum cast to check it with. It trims to 1.296"... 0.006" OVER max case length. I had to stone 0.016" off the pin.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; 04-28-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:41 PM

The Lee scales I have used (teaching people to reload) have been horrid. And I generally like Lee products.

RCBS, Lyman, Dillon beam scales are very good.

If you have electronic, get check weights. RCBS has a set. I bought mine when I got a Chargemaster as it bumped it up enough for free shipping.

I do not like 2 ounce or other heavy check weights. You are assuming a LOT of linearity, that might not be there.

For my precision 308 rounds, I can use a few of them and have a check exactly at my load weight (43.5 grains). So I know, if I put 43.5 grs of weight in the pan, and the scale says 43.5, my loads are right there.

2 ounces is 875 grains. Are you SURE that 43.5 grains reads 43.5 grains when you have only two data points at 0 and 875 grains?????
Old 04-29-2021, 05:40 AM

I believe that the digi scale will be retired. Acording to the scale the pan weighs 115.7gr and when I TARE out the scale and remove the pan that is what it usually reads. As I am weighing charges it will vary as much as .5gr. It came with a 50 gram check weight an rarely checks at that. I will get some other check weights since it makes sense to check scales close to the charge weight.

I looked at the beam scale and I think I will epoxy a paper clip to pointer end so that I can get it over the reference mark on the frame. Doing that and also a good set of check weights to set the scale at charge weight might just fix my issues, at least till I can get a better scale.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2021, 09:49 AM

Some things I’ve learned by experience…
- Eye-level wall shelf for the beam scale. Do not have scale on the loading bench itself as vibrations from operating the press(es) can disturb the scale. Level scale. Buy check weights.
- Separate wall shelf for electronic scale too for same reason. Level scale, an inexpensive round bullseye bubble level works for this.
- air flow from HVAC vents can cause errors.
- electronic scales need to warm up and stabilize, 20 minutes to half hour. Plug it in as your first step in preparing to reload.
- calibrate after warmed up. Verify with check weights.
- electrical interference from nearby fluorescent lights and cell phones/tablets can cause errors.
- remove pan from electronic scale when not in use.
- make sure pan is clean before starting session
Old 04-29-2021, 12:12 PM

when i found the loads i liked for my competition gun i cut pieces of 12 gauge copper wire and trimmed them till they matched the weights. They hang on a labled nail in my loading cabinet and i just drop them on the scale to verify the scale. cheap
Old 04-30-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
when i found the loads i liked for my competition gun i cut pieces of 12 gauge copper wire and trimmed them till they matched the weights. They hang on a labled nail in my loading cabinet and i just drop them on the scale to verify the scale. cheap
Great idea for individual load check weights. I think that I will borrow your idea.

Since most electronic scales (even on powder dispensers) use 50 gram and/or 100 gram calibration weights, get a set of commercial check weights to verify your electronic scale down to the weight range of your powder loads.

With reference to sets of check weights - make sure that the set you get is certified as calibrated to NIST or other accepted standards.

Verify your check weights with a lab quality scale if you can. Check with your local college or (maybe) high school to see if you can use their scale to verify your check weights. Also see if there is a local test lab that you can ask.

Verification of check weights is critical. I took my set into my metallurgical lab and verified them with our high end lab scale.

Keep the check weights clean..

I use my two electronic powder measures and a separate small electronic scale to check the scales against each other. When reloading I doublecheck every ten rounds or so.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The Lee scales I have used (teaching people to reload) have been horrid. And I generally like Lee products.

RCBS, Lyman, Dillon beam scales are very good.

If you have electronic, get check weights. RCBS has a set. I bought mine when I got a Chargemaster as it bumped it up enough for free shipping.

I do not like 2 ounce or other heavy check weights. You are assuming a LOT of linearity, that might not be there.

For my precision 308 rounds, I can use a few of them and have a check exactly at my load weight (43.5 grains). So I know, if I put 43.5 grs of weight in the pan, and the scale says 43.5, my loads are right there.

2 ounces is 875 grains. Are you SURE that 43.5 grains reads 43.5 grains when you have only two data points at 0 and 875 grains?????
This. All this, as he speaks the truth.

I have all three models of Chargemasters. They all work fine as long as you know how to treat them and understand their limitations. For example, you cannot expect to throw them on the bench or back on a shelf with the stain gage still engaged, and expect it to stay accurate. The Matchmaster is the most accurate of the three as it has never drifted, but in reality, it isn't worth the $900 they charge for it.

I use the RCBS checkweights mentioned above in combinations to get me to the weight of what I am dispensing to validate the scale is reading accurately. It takes having two sets, but you can't confirm accuracy better than that.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:13 PM

It is really nice to have choices.

RVN 67-68