Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2021, 02:48 PM

About 6 months ago, I switched from the RCBS standard manual powder measure to this:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012762980?pid=818489

Love it, saves a lot of time
Old 05-01-2021, 09:13 AM

Loaded 50 .223 cases this morning. Matchmaster with factory settings and using next to the highest speed in match mode set to 25gn of 8208 is either right on the money or .02 over. Hope to get out and shoot some in one of my bolt .223s today.
RVN 67-68
Old 05-01-2021, 09:24 AM

I have been doing some more research on my issues and this is what I have come up with,,,

I got two different colors of tape and made an intersecting line at the zero mark on the base that extends under the balance beam. I cleaned the pivot blade, pivot notch and the magnets then I leveled and zerod the scale and I can easily see when it is on the mark. This takes care of my issue with this scale.

A few weeks back I did make an elevated platform for the beam scale and trickler. Complete with leveling screws and I have a good bullseye level to check its level.

I will be getting a set of check weights so that I can verify the scales at the charge weight. I will be getting another beam scale in the future just to speed up the process some.

I would feel better about the electronic scales if there was a way to adjust/recalibrate them. From what I have seen there is no such adjustment unless you get a very expensive scale and a tech to keep it up. I will probably get a better one as funds permit.

I doubt that I will get to the point where I can justify the expence of one of the electronic dispensers.

Again, thanks for the suggestions,,,

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post

I would feel better about the electronic scales if there was a way to adjust/recalibrate them. From what I have seen there is no such adjustment unless you get a very expensive scale and a tech to keep it up. I will probably get a better one as funds permit.

Every electronic measure I have seen comes with calibration weights and a process to calibrate. The original Chargemaster came with a way to adjust throw parameters to optimize it. The uber-expensive MatchMaster model comes with the ability to adjust parameters on device as well as a mobile app, as long as you are using an older version of iOS and Android. It doesn't support newer versions with new BT stacks for whatever reason, but they have assured me they are fixing it when I asked for NDA access to fix it myself.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:21 PM

Question

"I would feel better about the electronic scales if there was a way to adjust/recalibrate them. From what I have seen there is no such adjustment unless you get a very expensive scale and a tech to keep it up. I will probably get a better one as funds permit."

Even the cheap $20 scales sold on eBay can be calibrated and re-calibrated. I've never seen one you couldn't calibrate or zero.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:40 PM

I guess my first question is why do you need an electronic scale when a balance scale is just as, if not more, accurate? Are you weighing each charge? If so, why. A good powder measure should drop even the bulkiest rifle powder to within 2 tenths of a grain or so. This variation will have no effect on accuracy unless shooting at extreme ranges. I know a number of competitive shooters who throw all their charges directly from a powder measure.

I check every 10th charge of rifle loads and every 25th charge of pistol loads. This is just my opinion as I have never had an issue in 45+ years of reloading.

I know some of us just have to have the latest and supposedly, greatest things but are they necessary?
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 05-02-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
"I would feel better about the electronic scales if there was a way to adjust/recalibrate them. From what I have seen there is no such adjustment unless you get a very expensive scale and a tech to keep it up. I will probably get a better one as funds permit."

Even the cheap $20 scales sold on eBay can be calibrated and re-calibrated. I've never seen one you couldn't calibrate or zero.
There is nothing in the directions for the one I have on how to recalibrate and I see no obvious place to adjust it.

I know I need a set of check weights but how do you actually adjust the scale if it is found to need adjusting?

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post
I guess my first question is why do you need an electronic scale when a balance scale is just as, if not more, accurate? Are you weighing each charge? If so, why. A good powder measure should drop even the bulkiest rifle powder to within 2 tenths of a grain or so. This variation will have no effect on accuracy unless shooting at extreme ranges. I know a number of competitive shooters who throw all their charges directly from a powder measure.

I check every 10th charge of rifle loads and every 25th charge of pistol loads. This is just my opinion as I have never had an issue in 45+ years of reloading.

I know some of us just have to have the latest and supposedly, greatest things but are they necessary?
When reloading pistol I check about every 25th charge as well, even on my progressive press. I do the same for .223 on the progressive press.

Last year I started loading for a .308 bolt gun that I plan to shoot target/steel out to around 600 yards. So while doing load development I was weighing every charge. I have continued doing so for .30-06 that I am working up now. I have been using Varget and IMR 4064 and I cannot get consistent charges from my Lee powder measure. So since my OCD tends to flare up when I am reloading I have just weighed every charge and I believe my beam scale over the electronic scale.

I have been looking at other powder measures as well but have not made a decision as of yet.

I am not a latest and greatest person either, and I am not convinced that you always get what you pay for. I also feel that function trumps form any day. Most of my equipment I purchased when I first started reloading and was not sure if I would be in it for the long haul. Well, I am and the rabbit hole is getting deeper so I will upgrade equipment as it is needed.

Eric

Last edited by Big_Red; 06-15-2021 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old 05-02-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
When reloading pistol I check about every 25th charge as well, even on my progressive press. I do the same for .223 on the progressive press.

Last year I started loading for a .308 bolt gun that I plan to shoot target/steel out to around 600 yards. So while doing load development I was weighing every charge. I have continued doing so for .30-06 that I am working up now. I have been using Varget and IMR 4064 and I cannot get consistent charges from my Lee powder measure. So since my OCD tends to flare up when I am reloading I have just weighed every charge and I believe my beam scale over the electronic scale.

I have been looking at other powder measures as well but have not made a decision as of yet.

I am not a latest and greatest person either, and I am not convinced that you always get what you pay for. I also feel that function trumps form any day. Most of my equipment I purchased when I first started reloading and was not sure if I would be in it for the long haul. Well, I am and the rabbit hole is getting deeper so I will upgrade equipment as it is needed.

Eric

I made a longer drop tube for my lee powder measure when I was doing rifle loads to help the powder fill better.

What really makes the lee work(and maybe any measure) is consistent action. I'd swing swing the lever up smartly, count 1,2, then down smartly, count 1,2 then take away the cartridge. But for my 600 yd loads, I dumped a slightly light measure into the scale pan, put the pan on the scale, then dribble the last 10th or 2 into the pan. 200/300 yd loads were close enough right from the lee for the 10 ring and way better than my offhand hold
Old 05-02-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Eric

My first advice is to ditch the Lee powder measure and scale. I like the older RCBS Uniflow and their 5-10 scale. You can usually find these used, at good prices. Just make sure they're complete. The Uniflow measure has two powder drums (large & small) with corresponding adjustment screws and two sizes of drop tubes.

There's a complete set with stand on Ebay now with only 3 bids... ends in 2 days.

CORRECTION: I have the 5-10 scale, not the 5-0-5
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; 05-02-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
There is nothing in the directions for the one I have on how to recalibrate and I see no obvious place to adjust it.

I know I need a set of check weights but how do you actually adjust the scale if it is found to need adjusting?

Eric
Good ones will come with a calibration weight.

You would turn it on, let it warm up. Then press the Zero button to have it adjust to read 0.0 without anything on it. This put on the calibration weight. And see that it reads the right number. A good scale will have a Cal button, that you would press with the weight on it, and it will adjust to be correct.

The assumption is that weights in between zero and the calibration weight will also be correct.

And that is where the check weights come in handy. Best would be a weight (I LOVE the idea of individual weights made from copper wire), but a set like the RCBS kit work well. You don't HAVE to check at the exact weight, but close will be fine.

So if you are throwing a 43.5 grain charge. A 40 grain check weight would be fine.

Unless you one of those who wants cuts grains of powder to get the charge to the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th decimal place.