Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2021, 08:52 AM

I use a RCBS 505 beam scale. With it the only way I found to accurately determine when the beam pointer is lined up with fixed scale on the frame is to build a platform to get the scale up close to eye level.

Try to use it below eye level and two bad things happen: (1) looking down at it the parallax means inaccurate. (2) bend over to read it and get neck and back pain. For me, an elevated platform is the way to go.

Beam scales need to be level and kept clean.

When I had access to an extremely accurate lab scale I made 40 and 50 grain calibration weights. I use these to verify readings on the 505.

I used a cheap PACT digital scale for a while but no matter what I did it drifted out of calibration during use. Caused me to pull a lot of bullets and start over.

Gave up on the PACT and went back to the 505.

I throw charges a little light then use a trickler to finish them off.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 05-12-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
I use a RCBS 505 beam scale. With it the only way I found to accurately determine when the beam pointer is lined up with fixed scale on the frame is to build a platform to get the scale up close to eye level.

Try to use it below eye level and two bad things happen: (1) looking down at it the parallax means inaccurate. (2) bend over to read it and get neck and back pain. For me, an elevated platform is the way to go.

Beam scales need to be level and kept clean.

When I had access to an extremely accurate lab scale I made 40 and 50 grain calibration weights. I use these to verify readings on the 505.

I used a cheap PACT digital scale for a while but no matter what I did it drifted out of calibration during use. Caused me to pull a lot of bullets and start over.

Gave up on the PACT and went back to the 505.

I throw charges a little light then use a trickler to finish them off.
I have built a platform for my scale and trickler, level it each time. It sure has made a difference,,,no more sore neck and I feel confident that I am looking at the scale the same each time. I too like to through charges a little light and trickle them up, about .3gr.

I get consistent charges out of my powder measure with Win231 but not so consistent with IMR4064.

I have ordered the Lyman check weights, they should be here next week.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk