Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Fiere View Post
This has been my experience using Federal brass for .300 Win Mag. Not knowing any better I used Federal brass for two long-range matches (80 rounds for record + sighters each). The first match I used new Federal brass, and afterwards all but a very few of the cases had oversize primer pockets (would easily accept my gauge). I had two blown primers (of 89 rounds fired) in that match (albeit with a fairly hot 220 SMK load). Similar results the second time.

I bought a couple hundred pieces of new PPU brass but haven't finished load development with those and can't say how they'll compare. Lapua brass is not available in .300 Win Mag.
Check out Peterson. They also offer a 300 winmag "long" if you want to headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt
Old 05-05-2021, 07:35 AM

Any Federal brass that ends up in my possession goes straight to the recycle bucket and turned in for beer money. I’ve had issues with it in .223 and .308. It’s just not worth the effort.

I’ve heard some good things about Starline .308 brass large and small primer,from some pretty good shooters, so that’s an option.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 05-06-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Check out Peterson. They also offer a 300 winmag "long" if you want to headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt
Thanks for the tip. Not surprisingly, no one seems to have it in stock now, but I'll get some when it comes back.

Just to make a liar out of me it also turns out that Lapua has started (or is about to start) producing 300 Win Mag brass as well. Of course that's not in stock anywhere either.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

I am demanding enough to expect my handloads to chamber.

We are all on board with you !!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2021, 03:32 PM

Several folks have reported that some Federal commercial loads in magnum chamberings eject with the fired primers falling out. Apparently Federal feels the soft brass is better for accuracy, as an old ATK presentation proclaimed the mk. 316 Mod 0 ammunition brought Federal's special understanding of making brass for accuracy to the table.

Atlas Development Group brass is made with double-struck heads for greater longevity, and regardless of weight differences, the internal volume seems to be very, very tightly controlled on the two lots I have. It is thicker brass to make it last through more reloadings (I've had 20 in one set of cases), so a bit of powder capacity is sacrificed for case life, but it is good stuff if you want another domestic source to look to.

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Patron Member
ORPA Life Member
Old 05-07-2021, 06:11 AM

Uncle Nick....Atlas is a new name to me and I am on wait list now should they ever have 308 brass ever become available again. Everything everywhere seems always sold out.

Its a 1941 Russian Grocery Store for reloading components these days.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Uncle Nick....Atlas is a new name to me and I am on wait list now should they ever have 308 brass ever become available again. Everything everywhere seems always sold out.

Its a 1941 Russian Grocery Store for reloading components these days.
Alpha munitions is another excellent option for domestic brass
Old 05-11-2021, 07:39 AM

Federal brass is my favorite for 06 and 243 for two reasons.

1. Since no one seems to want it I can collect it at the range and don't have to arm wrestle other reloaders for it.

2. Almost all my shooting is with mid level cast bullets and it lasts just as long as other brass.

For the few full power hunting loads I shoot I do use R-P for the 243 and LC NM for the 06. I have had a few FC cases that developed loose primer pockets, noticeable when priming. I mark the case head with a felt tip pen and discard after firing.