Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2021, 02:06 PM

Default My 1903 - Help trying to figure what is correct

I need a little help trying to figure out what's going on with this Springfield 1903 I picked up. I'm no expert on the 03, but have been doing some research and seems the more I dig in the more I get confused as to what I have.

Here's what I have found/questions:

Seems to be a 1938 with a 4/37 barrel - how could this be? I have read that some of the late 1938s did get put together with a mix of left over parts, could this be it?

Seems to have a Remington stock (I think) with FJA in a box cartouche, but hard to see. Could this just be some collector putting the wrong stock on a SA or could it be a rebuild of some sort?

What would be the correct stock on this? I'm assuming a "S" with finger groves, but have also seen that this time frame may have had a "C" stock.

The bolt seems to have a J6 stamp.

Is the butt plate correct?

Site doesn't have the "u" notch at the top. I'm assuming this is incorrect?

Any thoughts on what this is and what I have would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to at least get the stock correct if it's not. Thanks,

Pics (let me know if additional pics will be helpful):

Old 01-19-2021, 05:12 PM

Welcome!
Quote: "Seems to be a 1938 with a 4/37 barrel - how could this be? I have read that some of the late 1938s did get put together with a mix of left over parts, could this be it?"

Sure could, JB has noted before nothing was wasted back then. Rifle is a mix of a couple decades of parts, as it should be to be correct for the era.

I would certainly seek out a pre war C stock (expensive) or a nice finger groove straight stock if you want correct as issued. A scant stock replacement would be comfortable shooting and not be incorrect.
The J6 bolt dates to 1920 and is fine.
You can peruse this site to determine the rest of your small parts.
http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html
Old 01-19-2021, 11:06 PM

Note that by 1938, production of the M1 Garand was still gearing up. May want to ask someone to look up the serial number in the SRS books. The fine checkered butt plate, from info that I have, appears to be correct as does the no volley notch rear sight ladder. Is there a star gage mark on the barrel crown? Note, too, that individual components for the 1903 could still be ordered from Springfield, as regular 1903 production ended in 1927. Your rifle's barrel might also be a replacement of a worn or damaged barrel. Possibilities are rather endless. Too bad a log book isn't kept for each rifle in perpetuity, so we can see everything that was ever done to each rifle.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:56 AM

Correct? What is wrong with it in its current configuration? The vast majority of surviving 1903s are a collection of parts that were serviceable at a point in time.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:39 AM

Thanks, this is all very helpful and seems to confirm most of my thoughts.

There is not a star gage mark on the barrel crown. I'm assuming that this would indicate a National Match barrel, is that correct. Here is a picture.

Looks like I'm in the market for a finger grove stock or a prewar "c" stock. If I do find one does it need to be fitted or should it just drop in?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks a ton for the help!

Old 01-20-2021, 09:10 AM

Yes, Star Gage marked barrels are generally installed on NM rifles. But remember, components could have been purchased individually from Springfield.

The Pre-War "C"......the barreled receiver should just drop right in. Same for just about any original stock. Make sure you get the correct upper hand guard, for whichever stock that you get.

M1907 sling would be more correct for 1938 than the web M1 sling. A Kerr sling would look good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpryor83 View Post
Thanks, this is all very helpful and seems to confirm most of my thoughts.

There is not a star gage mark on the barrel crown. I'm assuming that this would indicate a National Match barrel, is that correct. Here is a picture.

Looks like I'm in the market for a finger grove stock or a prewar "c" stock. If I do find one does it need to be fitted or should it just drop in?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks a ton for the help!

Old 01-21-2021, 04:02 PM

Nice rifle. The sling is interesting.

John Adams
Old 01-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buykcmo View Post
Nice rifle. The sling is interesting.
Thanks! I'd love to wrap it in SA finger grove stock. I really like the sling too.