Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBGood View Post
How about all 1903 shoot in the Roosevelt match and all1903A3 shoot the Springfield match.
Participation up in the Roosevelt match and even playing field for Springfield match.
I can't say with certainty because I haven't yet participated in either, but I doubt anyone is shooting with a 1903 in the Springfield match if they want to be competitive...unless someone is freakishly good with open sights for some odd reason that defies nature.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeEmPee View Post
I find those to be very cool with the exception of the benchrest Garand match. The normal match rules/positions stray pretty far from combat, but I can basically guarantee that John Garand never intended these rifles to be shot from a bench, lol.
Agreed, but CMP recognizes there may be some interest based on the age and mobility of many of the vintage rifle shooters. Having helped coach at my club rifle clinics for over a decade now, I can tell you there's a LOT of guys that struggle to go prone, let alone try sitting.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeEmPee View Post
I can't say with certainty because I haven't yet participated in either, but I doubt anyone is shooting with a 1903 in the Springfield match if they want to be competitive...unless someone is freakishly good with open sights for some odd reason that defies nature.
I do now and then, and just did at the Eastern Games. I need some gold medals with the M1903 MkI, the 03A3 has plenty. When I don't be a dork and mess up rapid fire or standing, she can easily shoot in the mid and high 90s with several Xs. I think the original straight stock makes it "harder" to use than 03A3 than the sights (which are quite accurate actually). YMMV.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:57 AM

Well.... Springfield matches have been won with 1903s at CP and regional games. You would have a hard time getting 1903 experts away from their rifles or limiting Springfield matches to A3s. As for the stocks: the C stock looks good, but the thicker wrist causes my thumb to go right into my teeth especially in offhand, so.... Good Shooting. ...