Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
When you get the Earle rings you will have to do a little post about them. I'm sure they are high quality.
I have a set and they are extremely nice.

Positive clicks, both audible and tactile.

Excellent fit and finish.

Highly recommend but they are "hard to get", I had quite a wait before they finally shipped.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I don't think so. The 8x scopes are 3/4" the 10x scopes are 1"
Thanks for that, saved me some $$!

Now if someone would at least make a 10x to 8 X corrector eyepiece like mentioned above.

My feedback thread
Old 05-03-2021, 08:18 PM

I'm curious as to how incorrect information can save you money.... Good Shooting. ...
Old 05-03-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc View Post
Thanks for that, saved me some $$!

Now if someone would at least make a 10x to 8 X corrector eyepiece like mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitpusmc View Post
Would it be possible to take an Unertl 10x scope, remove its turrets / rings and swap either the Steve Earle rings or the new Hi-lux in? They sound like enough of an improvement that I might like to try them but I donít want to screw up the scope in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I'm curious as to how incorrect information can save you money.... Good Shooting. ...
This is a good point. I didn't fully answer your question, but i'll still save you money. As long as your 10x is a 3/4" tube (my experience is the 1" tubes are more common, I just assumed you had a 1" tube scope, but, hey thats just me)
Now to the saving money part. Original unertl mounts are very high quality. If you have a set in good condition, I don't know that your going to gain anything from the new and improved hilux mounts, which are very nice and I'm sure the steve Earle mounts are nice too.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:59 AM

I actually sought out and bought an original USMC Unertl rear ring (micrometer?) for almost $400 because I wanted as much originality and original appearance as I could afford - and knew I was not spending thousands on an original USMC Unertl scope.

After receiving the new Leatherwood/Hi Lux rings and comparing them to the original USMC contract Unertl micrometer, well, the Leatherwood folks did the originals a bit better.

Sharper, crisper clicks, reoriented the numbers on the upper turret for easier reading, quick setting back to zero once the rifle is zeroed mechanically. For shooting, I prefer the new Hi Lux mounts enough that I may list that original USMC Unertl mount for sale! I am sure any of the mounts discussed will work, but the Leatherwood set, for me, is the right mix of price, quality and functionality - and I won't be wearing out an original.

Plus, I like to take the opportunity to reward a company that went the extra mile to upgrade an already existing product to better please a pretty small number of customers (and you know who you are) - those of us who shoot Vintage Sniper rifles. CC