Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2020, 09:38 AM

Default Leatherwood ARTII scopes

Iím having trouble finding reliable information online, everything seems to contradict the other stuff I am reading.

The Leatherwood ARTII scopes, were they issued at all during Vietnam or were they a product of after the conflict? Iíve read they were more of an item during the 80s, and Gulf War era.

Thanks.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 10-25-2020, 11:19 AM

The first ART II scopes were delivered to the US Army in December 1981. They are an early 1980s to early 1990s era scope.
The original Vietnam era scopes were the distinct AR TEL scope circa 1969-1981/82ish.

Here’s both examples: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=217551

Last edited by Random Guy; 10-25-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:16 PM

Thank you, great post.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 12-23-2020, 10:07 PM

ART IIs were used quite a bit in the earlier stage of The War on Terror", later replaced with Leupold 10x scopes and both AR TEL (Vietnam) and ART IIs were eventually sold off by the CMP some years ago. I bought the last two available for Civilian Sale direct from Jim Leatherwood, when the new Army Contract took over the rest of his inventory when we first deployed to the Sandbox.

An interesting note - the "Government Model" M14 ART II came on a dedicated M14 two thumbscrew mount, but there were also some "Detachable" Models issued that left the mount foundation on the rifle and allowed you to switch to a dedicated night vision scope. Mr. Leatherwood talked me into purchasing these, and thought them a much better option. Slightly taller, but superior mechanically than removing and replacing the thumbscrews every time it got dark! I also purchased one from a former SEAL who was given it by his armorer when the scopes and mounts were "upgraded" in the field to the 10X Leupold. Neat piece of American Martial History - and "frame and shoot" still strikes me as better than calculating mildots. CC

Last edited by Col. Colt; 12-23-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:02 PM

Here is a little more info - direct from the horse's mouth (video from the Vietnam Sniper school) you might say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WihZ...uQU3zi&index=3

Leatherwood/Hi Lux has a number of Historical Videos on their site that they did with Veterans who used the ART scopes in Combat, as well as "how to" videos on their current line. Go give a look! CC