Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Default Olypic Globe sight for Stevens 416, help

Will the Olympic Globe front Sight on the e-store fit on my Stevens 416? The rifle looks like the original front sight dove tailed into the barrel. Does the Olympic style require a sight block? I have got this rifle in firing condition and have found the rear peep, but I don't have a front sight. Any and all help is appreciated.

Todd
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todddl3 View Post
Will the Olympic Globe front Sight on the e-store fit on my Stevens 416? The rifle looks like the original front sight dove tailed into the barrel. Does the Olympic style require a sight block? I have got this rifle in firing condition and have found the rear peep, but I don't have a front sight. Any and all help is appreciated.
The Olympic front sight does require a base. If your barrel is dovetailed, good candidates would be (1) one of the Lyman 17 series or (2) the Lyman 20 MJT.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 AM

If the rear sight you refer to is the original then the Lyman 17a is the closest to correct. Look for the 17AMI (.494" High) or 17AUG (.584" High). If you have the Stevens #106 Receiver Sight, I'd go with the 17AUG.
Here's a photo of the #106:
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Hi. Here is a picture of my rear site. It looks like the 106 but shorter. Would the 17AUG still be the correct site. Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM

It's not so much how tall the sight is but how low it will go. I just checked my 416, which has the #25 front globe. This sight measures .520 from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight post. With the #106 run all the way down I get a center hit at 50 yds. If you expect to shoot closer than 50 yds the 17AUG should be perfect.
The Stevens 416 is a fine rifle full true. We're lucky men indeed to have one in our collections.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten

Last edited by presidentg; 06-08-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM

17AUG:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...0&filter=17aug
Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Brownells has a program put the barrel length and height of rear sight and the program will give the correct front sight height.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks for all the info and links. I plan on shooting this rifle in sporterifle matches, which shoot at 50 feet. I was excited to have inherited this gun from my late stepfather. It was incomplete, but now I have it firing and only need that front sight. It sounds like the 17AUG is my best bet.
Thanks again
Todd
Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todddl3 View Post

Todd
or

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=4471
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 PM

I just got the 17AUG site. Does it just tap into the dovetail on the barrel or is there something else I need to do? I'm stoked to finally have this rifle complete enough for competition. This is the first rifle that I "restored". I'm glad that my stepfather didn't get around to sporterizing the stock (it had chalk marks for future checkering). Thanks again for eveyone's help.