Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Default Should I buy a nice M44? Help please!

I was in one do my favorite small gun shops today and saw a very nice Mossburg M44 for sale. I looked it over pretty good. It is marked US Property, includes one USGI magazine, it has a Redfield mod 75 rear peep sight and a nice front sight. It has no rust and no excessive wear in the chamber. The metal finish is about 95%. The stock has been either replaced or refinished but is pristine. The price is firm at $400. Should I go back and get it?
Registered Voter
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBerryfarmer View Post
I was in one do my favorite small gun shops today and saw a very nice Mossburg M44 for sale. I looked it over pretty good. It is marked US Property, includes one USGI magazine, it has a Redfield mod 75 rear peep sight and a nice front sight. It has no rust and no excessive wear in the chamber. The metal finish is about 95%. The stock has been either replaced or refinished but is pristine. The price is firm at $400. Should I go back and get it?
Rear sight not original for sure.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 PM

I know the rear sight is not original but it should be functional right? I have a 513T and that rear sight cost as much as I paid for the Rifle in October. Now I see they have some for $65. I looked at the M44 on the CMP auction site. Someone wants that one bad!
Registered Voter
Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Items on the auction site generally go high -- I can only surmise that they figure: "good item and the $$$ are going to a good cause" -- like many "charity" auctions. I think you can do better on the price if you can be (real?) patient, but that's just my opinion. I don't think the sight is an issue, btw, the 44US is a shooter, after all.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 AM

I'll sell you mine for $375. Looks brand new, just got it from CMP. 10 round Havlin clip, Crossman S133 rear peep sight. Let me know if your interested. It's just sitting in the box because I also have a 144.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Correction... My memory isn't

Ok I called the guy this morning and it is actually a 144. I guess I need to take pictures to keep my memory fresh. The rifle is on consignment and the shop owner said the guy has brought in a few other guns over the years. The stock has a cheek rest and three sling swivels. My quick search shows the 144s are a bit more desirable.
Registered Voter
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM

'round here that price is about right. The Redfield 75 is worth $100 all on it's own, maybe not from this forum's POV, but wait til they're gone from the CMP...
Should you go back and get it? Life is short. Fine rifles will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no fine rifles.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten