X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • USMC Phrogs
    • Feb 2012

Unertl Scope Caps

Passing along a guy who makes really nice custom screw in Unertl scope caps. I would think he can do others too but not sure. (Steve Earle does beautiful Lyman caps but not Unertl.) Sam made me two sets and they are perfect. They are not blued but fit and look great. I hope this helps anyone who needs a set for their old scope. Here’s his info.

Sam Marshall - [email protected]
    Last edited by USMC Phrogs; 01-09-2022, 08:45 AM.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

USMC Phrogs Feedback
  • ernie
    • Oct 2009

Thanks, any idea how to contact Steve Earle?

Comment

• USMC Phrogs
      • Feb 2012

Just Google Steve Earle mounts. He comes up. He’s a super guy too.
      For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

USMC Phrogs Feedback

Comment

• broomhandle
        • Feb 2016

Hello USMC Phrogs,

Are the caps alum or steel? Approx. cost for a set?

I have been told that the originals were steel & it was easy to cross thread them & ruin the very fine thread in the scope bell.
        There was another active machinist making them out of alum. for that reason.

Personally would rather have a more original blued set, but my chances of
        rushing to installing the caps at the range, could ruin a nice vintage scope..

Thanks,
        broomhandle

Comment

• edlmann
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ernie View Post
          Thanks, any idea how to contact Steve Earle?
          Steve Earle Products.
          A few variations on the black-cat-in-a-dark-room analogy:
          1. Philosophy is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat.
          2. Metaphysics is like being in a dark room and looking for a black cat that isn't there.
          3. Under Marxism, it's like being in a dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there, and the State announces, "We found it!"

Comment

• USMC Phrogs
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by broomhandle View Post
            Hello USMC Phrogs,

Are the caps alum or steel? Approx. cost for a set?

I have been told that the originals were steel & it was easy to cross thread them & ruin the very fine thread in the scope bell.
            There was another active machinist making them out of alum. for that reason.

Personally would rather have a more original blued set, but my chances of
            rushing to installing the caps at the range, could ruin a nice vintage scope..

Thanks,
            broomhandle
            This is what he emailed me - “I charge $25 per cap. They are made from 12L14 steel.
            They are polished and ready to blue. I do not blue.”

I don’t know him personally and just passing along info because it was so tough for me to find anyone who made them. Sam Marshall would be the best resource for questions. I just know mine fit well and look nice.

USMC Phrogs Feedback

Comment

• broomhandle
              • Feb 2016

----- FYI ------

Speedy Metals - Steel Round - 12L14
              www.speedymetals.com/c-8236-12l14.aspx

12L14 Steel Round. Typical Applications. 12L14 is used extensively in automatic screw machines for manufacturing numerous parts requiring considerable machining and close tolerances, along with a smooth finish. 12L14 can be used to maximum advantage where considerable machining is required, such as bushings, inserts, couplings, and hydraulic hose fittings.

It appears he picked a good grade of steel for the Lens covers.

If you have a Unertl scope you should protect it. Just keep both sets of threads nice clean. I had to use a old tooth brush & Q tips with some alcohol to clear all the
              " DIRT & STUFF" off the fine threads on 10 x I bought.

The previous owner never used caps & he had it twenty +YEARS!
              Always set the cap in place flat on the scope. It's easy to cross thread, it if your ham handed. Work slowly & gently & you will be OK!

Good Luck to all,
              broom

Comment

• wwheatfield
                • Apr 2022

Regarding the fine thread on scope caps and stripping the threads out...
                Always turn the cap opposite...left hand until you feel the little "click' as the thread in the cap runs over the thread in the tube.
                THEN tighten up the cap... old optical man trick.

Comment

• broomhandle
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by wwheatfield View Post
                  Regarding the fine thread on scope caps and stripping the threads out...
                  Always turn the cap opposite...left hand until you feel the little "click' as the thread in the cap runs over the thread in the tube.
                  THEN tighten up the cap... old optical man trick.
                  Hello Sir,

Was that man from NYC or Long Island in the mid - nineteen sixty's.
                  If it's the same guy, is the man that set the hook in me to be a serious shooter!

Enjoy every day,
                  broom

Comment

Working...
                  X