Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2021, 11:44 AM

Default Declassified letter origins

My wife got this from her mom, it was in a frame but the glass broke recently and I removed it. The "nine rules" was in the frame with the letter. We're not exactly which family member it belonged to. I really don't know what the letter means, if anything. Also curious about more info on the nine rules. Just wondering if any of the more seasoned members here might have seen such things before.

https://imgur.com/a/pJ7yEyv
Old 08-01-2021, 12:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

The president would have been Truman. Can you imagine how history would have been different if we had recognized Ho Chi Minh as the legitimate leader of Vietnam in 1950?

If the memorandum is an original document, it is of great historical value and probably should be in the official archives of the State Department.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 08-01-2021, 02:24 PM

It must be a copy, I found it on the national archives website, the version we have doesn't have the Truman Library stamp. But it's the same document. I don't know why she would have a copy though.

https://www.trumanlibrary.gov/librar...ebruary-1950-0
Old 08-01-2021, 07:20 PM

Really interesting document.

I agree with rcolarco that things might have turned out differently if we had supported and guided Southeast Asian nationalism in the right direction immediately after WWII instead of backing failed French colonialism.

Dean Acheson was Truman's post-war policy advisor and Secretary of State and was very influential in developing the Cold War strategy of rebuilding the Western European economy. He helped design the Marshall Plan and NATO and, of particular interest to us CMP guys, established the aid programs for Greece and Turkey in 1947 and the Philippines in 1949.

I think that the original copy of this memorandum would most likely be in the Dean Acheson papers in the Harry Truman Library.

As for the MACV "Nine Rules" I remember being issued that card. The ideas were fine in theory, but things weren't so clear in the real world.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinpig View Post
Really interesting document.

I agree with rcolarco that things might have turned out differently if we had supported and guided Southeast Asian nationalism in the right direction immediately after WWII instead of backing failed French colonialism.

Dean Acheson was Truman's post-war policy advisor and Secretary of State and was very influential in developing the Cold War strategy of rebuilding the Western European economy. He helped design the Marshall Plan and NATO and, of particular interest to us CMP guys, established the aid programs for Greece and Turkey in 1947 and the Philippines in 1949.

I think that the original copy of this memorandum would most likely be in the Dean Acheson papers in the Harry Truman Library.

As for the MACV "Nine Rules" I remember being issued that card. The ideas were fine in theory, but things weren't so clear in the real world.
Yeah, I've heard stories that things weren't quite that straightforward over there during that time.

So you're right about the original being in the Truman Library. So someone had to have made a direct copy of the original document before it got the Library stamp and it ended up somehow in my wife's family's possession. Tis a mystery!
Old 08-02-2021, 03:43 PM

A lot of times, copies of the original letters were sent out to the various need to know people. So it could very well be one of those original copies made at that time.
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Old 08-03-2021, 07:28 AM

Never saw those MACV Rules. I didn't get the dammed Memo. Didn't much matter, the only Vietnamese we ever saw in the bush were the bad guys whose only wish was to share 762x39 Culture with us.