Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
Been thinking about getting a 1903A3. I already have a Garand. What are some good reasons I to get a 1903A3? Are they more accurate than the Garand? More collectible? Trying to justify this to my wallet.

Any info would be appreciated

Day in and day out, when either rifle is of equal quality and when good quality ammunition is used, the 03-A3 will routinely out shoot the M-1 Garand. The semi-auto M-1 offers practical advantages that make it superior the bolt-action 03-A3.

The 03-A3 is more finely accurate. The M-1 is superior for a wider range of actual practical combat needs. The words of a good friend come to mind. As he held a 03-A3 in his hands, he spoke of his tour in the PTO in WWII. He said, "This thing will get you killed Preacher! It'll get you killed!" He spoke from experience. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris_Bane View Post
There is one problem with a 1903A3 ... you have to go to the a CMP store to buy one. The North and South Store is currently closed to catch up on M1's. So you are limited to the North Store or the Talladega Marksmanship Range Store.

The second problem is that supplies are limited and there may not be any rifles at the time you visit the store.
Not sure about your part of the country but 1903s/A3s are readily available in collector circles everywhere I've been.
As the OP lives in AL it's possible a TMP visit is in his future. The for sale section here generally has several available.
The last 1903 I bought was not from CMP.
As of now you can't move in the TMP without tripping over the bolt guns.
For me, 1917s have been difficult to locate, but CMP seems to disagree.
Just sayin.....
jh

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-15-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Day in and day out, when either rifle is of equal quality and when good quality ammunition is used, the 03-A3 will routinely out shoot the M-1 Garand. The semi-auto M-1 offers practical advantages that make it superior the bolt-action 03-A3.

The 03-A3 is more finely accurate. The M-1 is superior for a wider range of actual practical combat needs. The words of a good friend come to mind. As he held a 03-A3 in his hands, he spoke of his tour in the PTO in WWII. He said, "This thing will get you killed Preacher! It'll get you killed!" He spoke from experience. Sincerely. bruce.
I don't have a lot of 1903 experience. I have one S-C 1903-A3. I believe and agree with you that a good 1903 is likely more accurate, but I am absolutely certain that I can shoot tighter groups with any M1 that I have than I can with that thin front sight of my S-C.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

"Furniture" is NOT stocks and handguards.

I want to punch Dr. Rick from Progressive in the mouth, just because.

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Day in and day out, when either rifle is of equal quality and when good quality ammunition is used, the 03-A3 will routinely out shoot the M-1 Garand.
What’s your source for this conclusion?

While many shooters find a certain rifle shoots better for them (a subjective conclusion) I am not aware of any data supporting that objective statement. What I commonly hear is that following initial skepticism of less accuracy, wasting ammo and too heavy, most soldiers upgrading to the Garand quickly found it to outshoot the Springfield in every way.

Jh

Old 05-16-2021, 09:00 AM

Hi All,

We all have our ideas on this subject. It will never be set in stone!
Usually a longer sight radius will always make for a more accurate shot.

Cheek weld & proper stock shape for your body is also important.
I have three 03A3's each has a different stock type I ALWAYS shoot the C stock better.
I have had a pal switched the actions around & put tape over the markings to try to make it a blind test. C stock always is the winner.
As for the M 1 Garand proper stock weld is harder for me to maintain.
I have been a better shot with the M1 on occasions. Same ammo, same time of day & range conditions.

You should have at least one of each & just ENJOY them!
broom
Old 05-16-2021, 09:21 AM

The O3A3 is my favorite milsurp bolt rifle but only because it's rear peephole sight makes it easier for my eyes with astigmatism to sight in a target but to me a M1 simply works better than a 03A3 at everything.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:16 PM

Everyone has their opinions.
My opinion, which is clearly better, is that you shouldn't try to pick which milsurp is best. It's simply effort wasted that is best put towards making a few buck to simply buy both.
No matter what anyone says I can keep the conversation going.......

JH

Old 05-16-2021, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=ZvenoMan;2045560]What’s your source for this conclusion?

Well: looking at the results of CP Nationals and regional games; the Springfield scores will top the M1......almost always. CMP Springfield medal scores have been higher than M1 medal scores--not much difference today, but Springfield still rules. This, even though the M1 has an advantage in the rapid fire phase. My own opinion has always been that the bolt rifles are clearly more accurate. I have cleaned many prones over the years but only shot 9x once--with an A3. Finally, I find the C stock better looking, but no better than the other Springfield stocks for shooting. In fact, the C stock is too big through the wrist for me and I get my thumb right in the teeth during offhand. Finally (again) I love the M1, the Springfield, the 1917 and all the US rifles.....and a lot of the foreign hardware as well. We are truly fortunate. Good Shooting. .. ADDENDUM: Availability. I usually see one or more Springfields at every (real) firearms auction that I attend. More A3s than 1903s, often sportered and prices are usually lower than CMP. I have bought too many to remember, this route. Last one a few days ago--near perfect A3 in a good Fajen stock for $325+16%. Metal was unaltered. It will be in GI wood soon and probably as good as I have ever seen......

Last edited by ceresco; 05-16-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Not sure about your part of the country but 1903s/A3s are readily available in collector circles everywhere I've been.
As the OP lives in AL it's possible a TMP visit is in his future. The for sale section here generally has several available.
The last 1903 I bought was not from CMP.
As of now you can't move in the TMP without tripping over the bolt guns.
For me, 1917s have been difficult to locate, but CMP seems to disagree.
Just sayin.....
jh
This is the CMP forum. So, if you are talking about buying a 1903 on this forum, a natural assumption is that you want to buy one from the CMP. So my answer was based on the OP wanting to buy from the CMP.

Yes, there are other places you can purchase 1903's. These 1903's range from high end collectibles to de-milled rifles which are basically junk which will cost more to restore than they are worth. This fact leads to a much bigger question than "Been thinking about getting a 1903A3" such as, from what quality you are looking for, to how much are you willing to pay.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcheeks38 View Post
Been thinking about getting a 1903A3. I already have a Garand. What are some good reasons I to get a 1903A3? Are they more accurate than the Garand? More collectible? Trying to justify this to my wallet.

Any info would be appreciated
I have an 03 (not A3) and a couple other high end semi autos. The 03 is by far my favorite to shoot. I am not much of a marksman and had no issues hitting a dinner plate at 300 yards. Get either and you’ll love it.