Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2021, 11:18 AM

Filson definitely is not what it used to be. Neither is Orvis…. etc. etc.
However, my best half found a red single in almost perfect shape at a local flea. I suspect it’s close to as old as I am. I wear it some on Fall walks. For $26.00 I’m not complaining.

Last edited by Blurry; 09-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 PM

Rubicon762,
Like others have said, a large part of this decision is personal preference. I have the Mackinaw Wool Cruiser, in long like you reference.

I wear mine most of the winter here in Wisconsin and have been very happy with it. I pair it up with either the long-sleeve Wool Liner Jacket or the Wool Liner Vest on real cold days. This gets me through entire winter, layering when needed. I also have the Mackinaw Wool Field Pants.

If I am cutting/moving wood or working in a brushy area, I switch to the Oil Tin Cloth Cruiser Jacket and Oil Tin Cloth pants.

A couple of observations:

As another poster mentioned, if I am just wearing my wool cruiser and it is very windy, I find that it doesn't block the wind as well as other more modern fabrics. This is why I ended up layering like I did. I then found myself to overheat if it isn't that cold, so I ended up buying the Tin Cloth Packer Coat. It is like a tank and is incredible, so on really windy, snowy days I will sometimes switch to the tin cloth coat.

When I am engaged in light activity like hiking, target shooting or snowshoeing, my wool cruiser is great.

This is where personal preference comes in. Filson's wool and tin cloth jackets aren't for everyone. There are more modern fabrics that are more appealing to some. Tin cloth takes some maintenance and the wool cruiser is heavy. However, for me, I wear my wool cruiser a lot and truly like wearing it. It performs well, especially when there is a light/freezing rain or snowing. My tin cloth coats have taken decades of hard work and are still with me. They don't look like new but are still in very serviceable order. I really like my Filson gear. I do own a Bemidji wool coat and it is also very good. I just have more Filson.

One other observation. One of the reasons I bought a lot of Filson is that it was made in the USA. Lately, some of their items are made either exclusively overseas or a combination. A good example is their Wool Jac Shirt. I have three and love them. They were made in the USA. I noticed some of the newer ones are not (some still are).

I also agree with the other posters in that it can be expensive. My first two or three coats/pants I purchased at full retail. I then found that occasionally some items go on sale/clearance and the prices are great. HOWEVER, you have to act fast as there are a lot of folks watching these sales and the more popular sizes get snapped up fast.

There is an outlet store outside Minneapolis/St. Paul and you can get some incredible deals. However, that is like the North or South CMP stores. If you live close it is great. If you don't it doesn't matter.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Filson definitely is not what it used to be. Neither is OrvisÖ. etc. etc.
Agreed, but at least the Mackinaw coats are still made in the US.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:14 PM

Filson makes or has the Chinese make some very good quality wool clothing, if you get the right gear from them it will last years. Their warranty is complete garbage for the most part. So it is all buyer beware.

I have a Packer coat, a nice pair of wool pants and a light jacket from them and have no problems with any of those. The Packer coat is oiled canvas and double layered, with a wool vest and the hood it is great in most weather and dry in the rain. It did take about three years to break in and when it is cold it is stiff at first. The wool pants are the nicest I've ever owned.

On the downside, I had two of their sweaters. Both of them shrank or puckered or did some otherwise odd stuff when they got rained-on during an adventure. Both were properly dried so no reason for this other than poor quality control. I emailed, got an RMA and sent them back.

They refused to exchange them........................then they refused to refund them........................then they refused to return them at my cost........................I insisted on returning my now stolen property, asked to pay my own shipping, they refused.............................eventually they sent me a gift certificate for 33% of the cost of the sweaters. A search of the BBB and other places revealed this was common and I was basically screwed.

Then on a completely random and humorous note. A few months later they accidentally sent me someone else's random order of clothes and a coat, very expensive. When I called them they asked me to return it and pay the shipping myself. I declined and told them I was going to sell their crap on craigslist for the cost of the sweaters or simply toss it in the garbage. Or I offered it back to them at 1//3rd the value, as they had me. hahahaha

We did a few rounds of emails with a Seattle hippy and his boss. We settled on sending me a new sweater to resolve that crap and a shipping label to forward the box to its original destination.

I still like my coat a ton and the wool pants are great. Customer service, can be spotty.

Last edited by lonegunman; 09-16-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:23 PM

There are other American wool makers out there still, these guys make great shirts and jackets. Their long tail button down wool shirts are amazing. Their flannel lined wool shirts are super too, I have one of those as well. It is totally Elmer Fudd, green wool with a red flannel lining and perfect for cold days in the shop. I have a wool vest as well, it is great.

https://johnsonwoolenmills.com/
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Filson definitely is not what it used to be. Neither is OrvisÖ. etc. etc.
However, my best half found a red single in almost perfect shape at a local flea. I suspect itís close to as old as I am. I wear it some on Fall walks. For $26.00 Iím not complaining.
This is true . Even Orvis 'originals' always had a problem with buttons .

But their customer service remains commendable , in my experience .

And rubicon ; I'd definitely consider looking on the 'bay auction site for older Filson / Orvis stuff , just as soon as buying new . Quality is equal (or greater) , already 'broken in' , and pri$e is hard to beat ...

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on 09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?