Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Dec. 12, 2020 North Store Report

My last trip to one of the CMP stores was in March 2019. I have most of my Garand buying goals achieved so I find myself at the North or South stores less and less. Reading the reports of 1903s and 1917s, gave me the itch to fill those gaps in my collection so I decided to make the long drive to the North Store. It would be my first visit to the new store location. I called on Friday to make an appointment; a nice lady informed me that there was a cancelation just recently and a Saturday 8:30 am appointment was available.

I showed up at 8 am on Saturday. A couple arrived at about 8:10 and a gentleman arrived at 8:15 ish. We were let into the registration area where we were asked some COVID questions and our temperature was taken. Both masks and gloves are required. We were then sent to the store entrance and Bob let us in at 8:30 sharp.

I headed for the 1903s first. There were a dozen. I found mostly Remingtons and a few Springfields. No RIAs. The Springfields all had replacement barrels so I settled on a 3.14M Remington with an original 6/42 RA barrel and an ‘NS’ marked bolt. The ME was listed as 1 and measured exactly that on my gage. The tag stated “Dark Bore,” but it was shiny to my eyes and I know based on past experience with CMP 03/A3s, it will be shiny with some elbow grease and Hoppes #9. No cartouches on the stock.

I moved on to 1917s next. There were a dozen in one rack and another dozen in a circular rack. They were most Eddystones with some Remingtons and one or two Winchesters. The MEs were 3+ on half. I narrowed the decision down to a 3 or 4 - each had their own pros and cons. I settled on an 714K Eddystone with an original 6/18 ‘E’ barrel. It has a pretty good-looking stock with a ‘3GM-K’ rebuild cartouche. The bore is listed as dark again. The ME was listed as 2+ but measured just under 2.

There were 5 03/A3. I did not pay much attention to them since I have nice examples of Remingtons and Smith Coronas already.

On to the Garands…I was not in a Garand buying mood, but here is a rundown:
There were 2 6 million Springfield Garands. I have a weakness for 6Ms – their condition is usually outstanding, but I passed.

There was a full rack (front and back) of Service Grade Springfields and HRAs, some with original barrels. I found a nice early-ish HRA with an original barrel, but put it back. No cartouches on the handful that I handled.

There was one rack face (one side I mean) of IHC Service Grades. I did a quick scan for Gap Letter serial numbers (yes, I found one in the mix a couple of years ago), but found nothing. The condition looked pretty good on these.

There was one rack face of IHC Field Grades. Nothing jumped out at me in that rack.

There was one rack face of HRA/Springfield Field Grades. I found a 180K Springfield with an original 2/41 barrel that I was drooling over until it swallowed my Muzzle gage and still had play…way beyond 3+ on the ME. There were some WWII original barrels in the mix but nothing spoke to me.

There was 8 to 10 Field Grade and Service Grade Winchesters each. I scanned the rack, but nothing jumped out at me. A fellow found a Win 13 with the duplicate “A” marking by the serial number. It had an uncut 3 op rod too. That was the gem of the day. He bought it. I would have done the same, if I discovered it.

A good day at the store. I found what I was looking for and left happy. Nice to see Bob and Jim again behind the counter.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy Send a message via Yahoo to muddy

Excellent report- thanks much. Glad you found some keepers. Now I want to go again!
Old 12-13-2020, 05:47 PM

Glad they’re keeping some stock at the North Store!! And glad you were able to get some nice rifles!! I haven’t visited the new store and with COVID going on I’ll probably just wait a while!!
Old 12-14-2020, 02:34 PM

The new store is nice, but it doesn't have that smell. maybe its the mask, maybe its the new everything in there. Like clothing issue when you were in basic training had a distinct smell. I was kind of surprised buy the inventory when i was in back in September.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the report!
Old 12-15-2020, 11:59 PM

Good report. What kind of money were the Eddystones selling for?
Old 12-16-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 ring View Post
Good report. What kind of money were the Eddystones selling for?
1917 Field Grades were $600.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:54 PM

Great report.
Any Drill M-1 Garands? Any Drill Rifles at all?
Old 12-16-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeso View Post
Great report.
Any Drill M-1 Garands? Any Drill Rifles at all?
No Drill rifles of any kind.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:35 PM

I would ask staff there is usually a couple Drill M1's on the rack with the M1D's and M1C's against wall between the windows where you pay for your purchases. I've not seen any bolt drill rifle's in store in the couple years I have been going.

Last edited by Jimbeau_67; 12-16-2020 at 08:40 PM.