Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2021, 03:48 PM

Default South Store worth a 16 hour trip?

Iíve ordered mail order before with good luck but considering making the 16 hour round trip next Friday to solely visit the South Store to possibly purchase a Garand or two, possibly an 03-A3 or 1903. I know the drive would be required for the latter but is it worth it for Garands only in comparison to mail order?
Old 02-11-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDavis View Post
I’ve ordered mail order before with good luck but considering making the 16 hour round trip next Friday to solely visit the South Store to possibly purchase a Garand or two, possibly an 03-A3 or 1903. I know the drive would be required for the latter but is it worth it for Garands only in comparison to mail order?
I did a 10 hour one day trip and it was so great I want to do it yearly. They are currently not selling regular 1903s however so you can either wait and watch or go soon since the A3s may end up with the same fate before too long. I got a 1941 Springfield with the original barrel. The chances of getting that via mail order are pretty slim (probably slim within the store too honestly) but at least you have a chance to comb through many many rifles to find what you want.

Last edited by Deppizzymo; 02-11-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDavis View Post
Iíve ordered mail order before with good luck but considering making the 16 hour round trip next Friday to solely visit the South Store to possibly purchase a Garand or two, possibly an 03-A3 or 1903. I know the drive would be required for the latter but is it worth it for Garands only in comparison to mail order?
if you are going to make the drive, stop at the south store then go to the Taladega range, visit that store and shoot, then drive home next day.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:47 PM

It's a matter of perspective. If you are truly excited about picking out some high-condition Garands for your collection and looking forward to a cool road trip, the trip will be worth it. From a dollars-and-cents perspective, maybe not.

From Wake Village, Texas to Anniston is 590 miles, so you are looking at a roughly 1200 mile round trip, roughly an 18-20 hour round trip not including rest and meal stops. Even an older vehicle will cost you a minimum of 25 cents per mile taking into account intangible costs, so it will be a $300 trip at least. If you purchase three rifles, that averages out to $100 per rifle added cost. Throw in $75 per service grade sales tax and your looking a $750+$75+$100=$925 per rifle. Not bad in my opinion, I've paid more in private sales for a nice high-condition Garand.

BTW I live 240 miles from the Store.

JMO

Last edited by Tennboy; 02-11-2021 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-11-2021, 04:51 PM

There was a Caravan back around 2005/06/07 that went from NC/SC to the old store, Like a 7 hour drive from Clt, Racks on Racks of Mint Post War Garands, 03/03a3, Krag, carbines.... huge cardboard boxes filled with 15 rd carbine mags...go pick you some, m42/44's .22's $75.00 pick u some. The Good old days.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:14 PM

Especially if you have never been before. Heck Yes, for me 800 miles 12 hours, did it a number of times back in the Hey Day.
Seems like recently there has been pretty good pick-ins at the store - I also remember times when there was almost no stock, timing is everything.

MAKE the TRIP, you will not regret it

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA) Life Member
Old 02-11-2021, 05:19 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzwei View Post
Especially if you have never been before. Heck Yes, for me 800 miles 12 hours, did it a number of times back in the Hey Day.
Seems like recently there has been pretty good pick-ins at the store - I also remember times when there was almost no stock, timing is everything.

MAKE the TRIP, you will not regret it
THIS FOR SURE ^^^^^^^^^^.......You will not regret it, especially once the choices are gone.......usually a great number of weapons to review and pick over............many as good if not better than those ordered on line AND you don't have to 'wait' for a month or two. Get more than one when you get there. If you get only ONE, it will be quite lonesome in that gun safe. You can always gift the extra or, when $$'s become needed, it WILL SELL. Have fun!
Old 02-11-2021, 05:37 PM

I would think this is a pretty good pandemic activity. Lots of social distance in your car and a nice pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:42 PM

I made my first trip to the CMP south store this past weekend, 7 hour drive from Florida. Well worth the experience getting to pick out your own individual rifle/rifles. I would recommend getting there early. I was there at 5:30am and there was 5 customers in front of me. Picked out a beautiful IHC service grade M1.

Last edited by alexb441; 02-11-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:32 PM

I will probably arrive around 1pm the day before my morning visit. Worth a trip over to catch a restock? When do they usually do them?