Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2021, 08:18 AM

Default Garand availability 2021 and beyond

Does anyone out there have any non-speculative dope on the future availability of Garands via CMP sales? Production ceased 65 years ago, and even NG units have passed them on. I thought that perhaps one of you (former) South Store frequenters might have heard something.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Does anyone out there have any non-speculative dope on the future availability of Garands via CMP sales? Production ceased 65 years ago, and even NG units have passed them on. I thought that perhaps one of you (former) South Store frequenters might have heard something.
I would be very interested also... I see currently on the sales site only Field Grade SA/HRA are available... Thanks!
Old 05-10-2021, 10:27 AM

How long will it last???
Brings to mind the word of a old country song ...
Written by Kris Kirstoffersen back in 1968.

Don't look so sad
We know it's over,
But life goes on
and this old world
will keep on turning.

Just seems appropriate. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
I have heard nothing about the future here. Even my best personal local friends have nothing to share. We just have to hope....
Old 05-10-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
I have heard nothing about the future here. Even my best personal local friends have nothing to share. We just have to hope....
Thanks Tom. If anyone has heard anything it would be you. Crickets rule. Kinda spooky.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 PM

If Mark J has attended any of the larger events such as Travel Games at Butner, I would check with folks who were there. In the past Mark has been straightforward about the supply situation.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 PM

Anything you hear (including this) that does not have Mark Johnson's signature block on it, is pure speculation and shouldn't be trusted. What I do believe to be true:

-The current back order problems are not unusual and is not indicative of how long the program will last.
-People have been predicting the end of the line for Garand Sales for years (decades?) and have yet to be right.
-There are still M1's in foreign hands they may or may not be returned someday. (Please don't ask about the Korean M1s, because that is extremely, to to the point of impossible, not happening.)
-It will end someday.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:15 PM

Who is Mark Johnson?
Old 05-10-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56hotrod View Post
Who is Mark Johnson?
Mark is the DCM

https://thecmp.org/about/coo/
Old 05-10-2021, 01:56 PM

Smile

I was asking myself this same question a few weeks ago when I decided to place an order for a few more M1's. It was about 2 weeks before they listed the Service Grades as Sold out. So I did a bit of research a few weeks ago.

This was in the GAO report to congress in February of 2019 -

"According to CMP, as of August 16, 2018, it had 228,791 rifles on hand, of which CMP identified 148,714 as being in sellable condition."

It also stated that ~100K rifles were recovered and transferred to CMP from the Philippines and Turkey from February 2018 through April 2018 so it could be argued that these were included in the number above.

The report also states that 203,644 M1's were transferred to the CMP from 2008 through 2017 (Does not include the 100k above).

Assuming that they haven't received any additional M1's since the report, make your guess as to how many they sell in a year or month, and assuming they don't get any more in you can figure out how long they will last based on your assumptions.

I won't be doing any assuming for anyone...

If you want to read the report yourself just Google "CMP Garand GAO" and it should be the 2nd one that pops up. Date is 2/14/19. It is actually a pretty interesting read.