Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2021, 04:56 PM

Default Why are young kids so good?

I'm 63 years. I got it into my head a few years ago to give air rifle a serious try. So I went out and bought an FWB 800. It has become my favorite rifle to shoot (and I have many rifles). I practice with it consistently in my basement, as I have the necessary 33 feet to shoot it in. Rain or shine (or snow in my case), day or night, I can practice with it. It's great.

Few people are more disciplined than I am. Yet, I suck at it. Offhand, my scores on the NRA A5/10 are consistently in the seventies. Kneeling, in the eighties. Only in sitting and prone do I break into the nineties, and not even then all the time.

I look at the scores from some air rifle matches, and I see these kids shooting scores I can only dream of - high nineties, for the most part, many cleans.

How come they can do it and I can't? It's not for lack of trying on my part, or lack of practice, or lack of quality equipment. And I'm in pretty good shape for an old codger.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:35 PM

Their brains are sponges, and they often have and accept quality coaching every step of the way. Many youth also have little else to think or worry about, and put in far more hours than even the most disciplined adults. Its true in every hobby. I've been playing chess for 15+ years, and am routinely skewered by 13 year olds.

As for your own personal shooting its vital you pursue it as much as you enjoy it (don't turn it into a grind or a job); that you actively seek to improve your technique (don't just go through the motions and expect the scores to rise); and that you be patient (improvement takes time and is often so incremental its hard to notice.)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:24 AM

They have YOUNG EYES! You might try Lasik's.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:35 AM

Pretty simple, they have less distractions, clear eyes, better muscle tone, they oxygenate better, and they listen to their coaches. We all have bad habits which get in the way of letting the rifle do its job, Kids do not have that accumulated experience. Its not practice that makes perfect its PERFECT Practice that makes perfect. Focus on quality over quantity of practice and remember that you shoot because you enjoy it. Keep it enjoyable.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang82 View Post
Pretty simple, they have less distractions, clear eyes, better muscle tone, they oxygenate better, and they listen to their coaches. We all have bad habits which get in the way of letting the rifle do its job, Kids do not have that accumulated experience. Its not practice that makes perfect its PERFECT Practice that makes perfect. Focus on quality over quantity of practice and remember that you shoot because you enjoy it. Keep it enjoyable.
I would enjoy it more if, when shooting Standing, I shot 95's on the AR 5/10 target, rather than 70's.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:28 AM

I find from my own experience that, " The more you think, The more you stink. Keep shooting and enjoy it, better standing scores will come in time.