Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2021, 01:49 PM

Default AR-15 front sight attachment

Hello
I'm reading " the competitive AR15, by Glen Zediker, (17 printing) page 87, and he talk about gluing (green or red threadlocker by loc-tite) the front sight to the barrel along with a set screw, instead of using tapered pins. Has anyone ever tried this method.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2021, 02:02 PM

I had an upper done like that and for a competition AR it works fine. I wouldnít want that setup on an AR that you throw in a truck or carry around a lot as the set screw isnít anywhere close to as strong as pins. There are also barrels that have grooves cut where the set a row engages to help keep the front sight from rotating on the barrel. These days I have a pinned front sight as I am not shooting to that level anymore due to age and eyes.

With that said, you need to be a very good shooter before you will see accuracy gains especially shooting service rifle matches.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:47 PM

Ok , I seen what your saying, yeah getting back to this hobby after a long period of just target shooting at the local range. I purchased a colt replacement barrel 1-7 and the front sight is going to need to be installed.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:54 PM

Where did you get the Colt barrel? Iíve been trying to get a Colt A2 barrel with non F FSB like forever and a day. They occasionally pop up on GB but usually get stupid expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblue319 View Post
Ok , I seen what your saying, yeah getting back to this hobby after a long period of just target shooting at the local range. I purchased a colt replacement barrel 1-7 and the front sight is going to need to be installed.

My feedback thread
Old 05-23-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblue319 View Post
Hello
I'm reading " the competitive AR15, by Glen Zediker, (17 printing) page 87, and he talk about gluing (green or red threadlocker by loc-tite) the front sight to the barrel along with a set screw, instead of using tapered pins. Has anyone ever tried this method.
Thanks
Yes.

It was a standard method for NM AR15ís when the book was written.

Thread the existing hole in the bottom of the rear barrel band with an 8-32 tap.

Use a ~ 3/16 long hex set screw to hold the sight tower in place.
Take the rifle to the range with a bottle of green loc tite.

Put the rear sight at the zero index and then adjust the windage by adjusting the front sight tower side to side.

When it is zeroíd up for windage and the set screw is tight, squirt the loc tite at the junction between the barrel and the sight tower bands.

I have one that was done like this and it has held for 20 years without a problem.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:48 AM

i got the colt replacement barrel 20 in from Brownells (5/14/21) stock number 160-000-518mb. paided $262. for it
Old 05-24-2021, 01:51 AM

Thanks nitro ,will look into that method. will order my parts this week. i also have my float tubes coming from compass lake engineering for my service rifle and carbine.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:20 PM

The good stuff is LocTite 290 (happens to be green and wicking).
Old 05-31-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisxllx View Post
The good stuff is LocTite 290 (happens to be green and wicking).
You need the right number. There are several green Loctite products that are NOT wicking.

What you would really want is a wicking, high temp compound for cylindrical assemblies. Thread locker is for threaded things, not two smooth surfaces.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:42 AM

Thanks , will get the 290, waiting for my float tubes from compass lake engineering.