Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post
Y’all are killing me,,,

Once the Hoppe’s dries it is a non issue. Personally I use mineral spirits to clean my dies.

Then I give them a wipe of light oil and then wipe that off with a rag. Do not oil the inside of the powder charge die.

Eric
So again, what is the problem with using it to clean dies?

As long as you don't leave the die wet with it, it is no different that using it be clean your chamber.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:18 AM

My dies get dropped in a Lyman ultrasonic cleaner every few hundred cycles. Keeps my mind at ease.
RVN 67-68
Old 06-15-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
Hoppe's does not attack copper. I suppose you object to bore cleaning with it also.

I clean my dies with action blaster or brake cleaner. Brake cleaner could clean Hitler's soul.
In your dreams Hoppes doesn't react to copper. The point of it is to help dissolve the copper as well as get rid of powder residue. And FYI, I do use it in the rifle bore.

I prefer to keep any chemical that may attack copper away from my components or reloading equipment. Do want you want to your equipment, but why risk it?

Last edited by DougS; 06-15-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:50 AM

Maybe I should rethink what I am doing, if I notice any crud in a die which is usually just a little accumulation of case lube I just wipe it out with a dry cloth or paper towel. I admit I am an old guy and also I am noticing that it’s a new day and a new way for those starting in the hobby.

Last edited by nate; 06-15-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Maybe I should rethink what I am doing, if I notice any crud in a die which is usually just a little accumulation of case lube I just wipe it out with a dry cloth or paper towel. I admit I am an old guy and also I am noticing that it’s a new day and a new way for those starting in the hobby.

I would say your good. Your right, somehow everything is different in today’s world. I wonder what has changed with the steel???

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2021, 05:48 PM

You can easily make a stuck case remover with the proper size socket, long 1/4 20 machine screw, washer and nut. Of course you'll need the proper size drill bit and 1/4 20 tap.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 06-15-2021, 09:39 PM

Tech Line & Tips (FAQs)
https://www.redding-reloading.com/te...uses-and-cures

Cleaning Your Dies

We are often asked, "How should I clean my dies?" The answer is to use the same procedures, with the same equipment and solvents, that you use to clean the bore of your rifle or handgun. Use the same diligence and effort as well, since the brushing and copper solvents will work well on any brass deposits that may have accumulated inside the die.

Shipping Lubricant

When shipped from the factory, all Redding reloading dies are protected with moisture displacing oil for shipment and storage. During prolonged storage, this shipping oil may migrate to one side of the die and harden. Before using your new dies, they should be cleaned to remove all traces of the shipping oil. Using a quality bore solvent and a brass bristle brush, scrub the interior of the dies out and then carefully dry them. Be sure no solvent remains in the threaded area at the top of the die that may later run down and cause sizing difficulties. An air compressor will greatly assist in drying the dies after cleaning.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:07 PM

Smile

I think Imperial lube is the best thing in reloading since bullet and resizing dies.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:11 PM

I have been cleaning my reloading dies with Hoppes for 60+ years, never had a solvent molested case. Using the reasoning that you shouldn’t clean your dies with bore solvent, then you also shouldn’t use it to clean firearm chambers, good grief.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I have been cleaning my reloading dies with Hoppes for 60+ years, never had a solvent molested case. Using the reasoning that you shouldn’t clean your dies with bore solvent, then you also shouldn’t use it to clean firearm chambers, good grief.

Amazing deduction!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk