Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2021, 07:03 PM

Default FOIA results 1st M1 Garand

I sent in paperwork for my 1st Garand (and for a 1911 at the same time) last March.

I got a Service Grade 11-55 H&R the week after the 4th of July. GI walnut and a 9/64 LEAD refurb mark.

I sent in a FOIA request after the gun arrived, mainly because I was curious if it had been a foreign return, and hoping for really any records at all.

I got more than I expected, but it looks like it essentially never went anywhere. First hit 1976 at Letterkenny, and I know from the refurb mark it was there in 1964, so it probably stayed in between? With a 1955 build date, that does not leave much time unaccounted for.

Still very happy with the results, and the gun is gorgeous.

The following Information was found in the DoD Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry for an M1, Rifle Caliber .30, NSN: 1005-00-674-1425, Serial Number: 5705619. The records for this weapon are listed below in chronological order:
1. March 12, 1976 – The Letterkenny Munitions Center -Chambersburg, Pennsylvania registered the weapon into the Department of Defense (DoD) Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry.
2. May 22, 1980 – The Letterkenny Munitions Center - Chambersburg,
Pennsylvania shipped the weapon to the Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama.
3. June 03, 1980 – The Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from the Letterkenny Munitions Center - Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
4. March 20, 1999 – The Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama shipped the weapon to the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Distribution - Anniston, Alabama.
5. March 20, 1999 – The DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from the Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama.
6. September 08, 2000, January 31, 2003, January 29, 2004, January 23, 2005, February 12, 2006, January 29, 2007, January 27, 2008, January 25, 2009, and January 24, 2010 – The DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama conducted annual weapon serial number reconciliations on the weapon.
7. September 16, 2010 – The DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama shipped the weapon to the Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama.
8. November 04, 2010 – The Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from the DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama.
9. May 14, 2021 – The Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama conducted an annual weapon serial number reconciliation on the weapon.
10.May 19, 2021 – The Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama shipped the weapon outside the DoD to the Civilian Marksmanship Program South - Anniston, Alabama.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:15 AM

Great record and lots of traveling there!
Old 09-04-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudeteau View Post
I sent in paperwork for my 1st Garand (and for a 1911 at the same time) last March.

I got a Service Grade 11-55 H&R the week after the 4th of July. GI walnut and a 9/64 LEAD refurb mark.

I sent in a FOIA request after the gun arrived, mainly because I was curious if it had been a foreign return, and hoping for really any records at all.

I got more than I expected, but it looks like it essentially never went anywhere. First hit 1976 at Letterkenny, and I know from the refurb mark it was there in 1964, so it probably stayed in between? With a 1955 build date, that does not leave much time unaccounted for.

Still very happy with the results, and the gun is gorgeous.

The following Information was found in the DoD Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry for an M1, Rifle Caliber .30, NSN: 1005-00-674-1425, Serial Number: 5705619. The records for this weapon are listed below in chronological order:
1. March 12, 1976 – The Letterkenny Munitions Center -Chambersburg, Pennsylvania registered the weapon into the Department of Defense (DoD) Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry.
2. May 22, 1980 – The Letterkenny Munitions Center - Chambersburg,
Pennsylvania shipped the weapon to the Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama.
3. June 03, 1980 – The Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from the Letterkenny Munitions Center - Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
4. March 20, 1999 – The Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama shipped the weapon to the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Distribution - Anniston, Alabama.
5. March 20, 1999 – The DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from the Anniston Munitions Center - Anniston, Alabama.
6. September 08, 2000, January 31, 2003, January 29, 2004, January 23, 2005, February 12, 2006, January 29, 2007, January 27, 2008, January 25, 2009, and January 24, 2010 – The DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama conducted annual weapon serial number reconciliations on the weapon.
7. September 16, 2010 – The DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama shipped the weapon to the Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama.
8. November 04, 2010 – The Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama received the weapon from the DLA Distribution - Anniston, Alabama.
9. May 14, 2021 – The Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama conducted an annual weapon serial number reconciliation on the weapon.
10.May 19, 2021 – The Tank Automotive and Armaments Command Civilian Marksmanship Program - Anniston, Alabama shipped the weapon outside the DoD to the Civilian Marksmanship Program South - Anniston, Alabama.
The FOIA report for your first M1 looks almost identical to the one I just got back for my July-August 1955 vintage Garand. Looks as though neither of our rifles ever left the country and spent most of their lives bouncing around between a few different Army depots. Like you I wasn't expecting much and was still pleased to get that much information.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:56 PM

Yeah I saw yours when I went to post, and was also struck by the similarities.

Our results are more interesting than some, less interesting than others, but overall it was a lot easier to get info than some guns I have researched!

Haven't shot it yet, because I want to set a baseline with factory ammo before handloading, but it ought to be good as brand new.

Throat was 2 muzzle 2+, incidentally.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudeteau View Post
Yeah I saw yours when I went to post, and was also struck by the similarities.

Our results are more interesting than some, less interesting than others, but overall it was a lot easier to get info than some guns I have researched!

Haven't shot it yet, because I want to set a baseline with factory ammo before handloading, but it ought to be good as brand new.

Throat was 2 muzzle 2+, incidentally.
Most definitely. I was ready for the possibility of getting absolutely nothing back from my FOIA request since I know the records for individual rifles are spotty at best. It also occurs to me that our rifles are fairly close together serial number wise. Mine is 5896xxx. Small world.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthony View Post
Most definitely. I was ready for the possibility of getting absolutely nothing back from my FOIA request
Interestingly enough, getting zero information back would not have been a huge loss at all or even a realistic disappointment in my opinion.... I was originally intending to be diplomatic here, but it seems that these requests for the supply chain whereabouts of individual Garands are in most all cases predictably boring and generally quite forgettable. I just don't get the fascination with them, which seems to be increasing lately.

If you want to do a free FOIA, go ahead, but I'd much rather see a range report posted here on someone's new Garand than knowing which cow-town army base it was transferred to on April 4th 1977
Old 09-05-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
Interestingly enough, getting zero information back would not have been a huge loss at all or even a realistic disappointment in my opinion.... I was originally intending to be diplomatic here, but it seems that these requests for the supply chain whereabouts of individual Garands are in most all cases predictably boring and generally quite forgettable. I just don't get the fascination with them, which seems to be increasing lately.

If you want to do a free FOIA, go ahead, but I'd much rather see a range report posted here on someone's new Garand than knowing which cow-town army base it was transferred to on April 4th 1977
I understand what you're saying. Though, how many times have you heard someone say "Boy I wish this old rifle/truck/painting could talk..." These FOIA requests are about as close as we'll ever get to just that. Yes, 99.99% of the time the results either non-existent or unremarkable. But you never know when you'll find something interesting like a return from overseas.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:29 PM

You don't know what you are going to get until you get it.

Browsing the internet before I sent mine in, I saw a Garand FOIA someone posted that had the first entry as a base in Turkey, and another that said Iraq. That is certainly relevant and interesting, and can add much to the the "story" of a gun.

In my case (and the other gentleman's) certainly, it is less "interesting" than that, but I had no way of knowing until I asked. And as it was free... I have in the past (and likely will in the future) spent more on research materials than the guns being researched cost.

History is history, and worthy of preservation, and now I have a nearly complete provenance for my rifle. I am sure it will shoot better than I can, and I will certainly shoot it a lot, as soon I get some appropriate ammo.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:04 PM

How/where does one submit a FIOA request to get this information?
Old 09-06-2021, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
How/where does one submit a FIOA request to get this information?
I have been emailing with the person at the LDAC that fulfills our FOIA requests. She is retired Military. I asked Ms. Penn at LDAC if there was anything WE could do to make her job easier in answering our FOIA requests. I promised to pass it along if she did. She sent the following.

I work for the Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC), we are part of the Army Materiel Command (USAMC). We have that DoD Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry.

1) If you could let everyone know that when they request their FOIAs, I need them to state how much they would be willing to pay, this is so it is what is called a ‘perfected request.’ Let them know that they won’t be charged unless their request exceeds 2 hours of work (that usually doesn’t happen). All this information can be found in AR 25-55, 19 October 2020, pg. 47. Email is the fastest and most efficient way to get a response. Responses will always include a letterhead and each serial number will be done on a separate response letter so the paperwork can remain with the weapon.

2) There is a group of researchers, but I am the only one that does the response paperwork etc., when I’m gone, they may have to wait a couple of weeks; however, usually I can get their responses within 24-48 hours. Having said that, if you can give me a good POC – I can let y’all know when I am ‘out.’

Let me know if I’m asking too much…

v/r
<Teleworking>
Miss Mickelle Penn
FOIA Officer
Operations Branch
Mission Support Division
Logistics Data Analysis Center (LDAC)
mickelle.a.penn.civ@mail.mil
__________________________________________________ _____

Lets do what we can to make her job easier as her whole job is basically to answer the very requests we are sending in...and she sounds like 'good people'.

Jeff-in-KC