Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2021, 08:11 PM

Default What are you shooting I the Vintage Match this year?

I'm curious about what people are choosing for their foriegn vintage rifle.
I'm going to shoot a MAS 36 in the vintage class this year. I like the sights and my rifle is very accurate.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:57 PM

I appreciate those who will shoot the interesting and less common rifles. Those who are after high scores will gravitate to the 1917, Swedish 6.5 and Swiss straight pull. I shot my Grandfather's 1886 Lebel some years and managed a Bronze even after forgetting that the sling tension greatly affected POI. The British P14 can shoot with any of the others and I believe the Ross can be good, as well. Good luck with the MAS. I have used many of the oddities in local matches, but still like to do my best at CP, so....... it will be the 1917 this August. Good Shooting. ....
Old 07-13-2021, 09:49 PM

Id love to shoot my Finn M28/30 for fun, but Ill be using my 1917 also chasing points.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I appreciate those who will shoot the interesting and less common rifles. Those who are after high scores will gravitate to the 1917, Swedish 6.5 and Swiss straight pull. I shot my Grandfather's 1886 Lebel some years and managed a Bronze even after forgetting that the sling tension greatly affected POI. The British P14 can shoot with any of the others and I believe the Ross can be good, as well. Good luck with the MAS. I have used many of the oddities in local matches, but still like to do my best at CP, so....... it will be the 1917 this August. Good Shooting. ....
I'm still on the hunt for a Ross Mk3. That would be a great shooter and head turner.

I bet the lebel was interesting in rappid fire! Lebel was the greatest "single shot" rifle in ww1

Last edited by hebes405; 07-14-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 AM

The Russian/Fin bolt rifles are accurate. However, the five round chargers are crude and require some careful prep and practice. Still better than the Lebel (with it's tubular -top feeding) magazine) in the 80 second rapid. I practiced a lot and was able to get all ten off--even in 60 second high power matches. The first five were OK, but the last five involved feeding in live rounds while the rifle ejected a combination of spent and unfired rounds until the count made it to ten. Not much time for careful aim. The Ross rifles are hard to find. I had a badly worn and partly sportered one I was trying to restore for matches when I finally obtained a good one. Haven't done enough work to try it in a match yet. The P14s are tricky only in that the .303 rims can get "wrong" in the magazine. I found that the .311 diameter 125gr Winchester power points were extremely accurate. I would like to see CMP allow the military trap door, rolling block and big single shot bolt actions rifles in vintage class. Simply firing five shots in the 80 second rapid and doubling that score makes it possible to integrate them into the match. Well, we can dream. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-14-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The Russian/Fin bolt rifles are accurate. However, the five round chargers are crude and require some careful prep and practice. Still better than the Lebel (with it's tubular -top feeding) magazine) in the 80 second rapid. I practiced a lot and was able to get all ten off--even in 60 second high power matches. The first five were OK, but the last five involved feeding in live rounds while the rifle ejected a combination of spent and unfired rounds until the count made it to ten. Not much time for careful aim. The Ross rifles are hard to find. I had a badly worn and partly sportered one I was trying to restore for matches when I finally obtained a good one. Haven't done enough work to try it in a match yet. The P14s are tricky only in that the .303 rims can get "wrong" in the magazine. I found that the .311 diameter 125gr Winchester power points were extremely accurate. I would like to see CMP allow the military trap door, rolling block and big single shot bolt actions rifles in vintage class. Simply firing five shots in the 80 second rapid and doubling that score makes it possible to integrate them into the match. Well, we can dream. Good Shooting. ...
If you ever decide your to get rid of your Ross, let me know. I've been looking for one.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:22 AM

K31, I think, or 1917.

Jess
Old 07-20-2021, 04:42 PM

The No. 4 Lee Enfield is often overlooked as a viable VMR. Fast acting bolt, very reliable magazine charging, 1 MOA click adjustable rear sight for elevation. Front sight blade slides in a dovetail and easy to adjust.

There were many No. 4 Mk 1/2 and 1/3 rifles imported into the US with practically new five groove barrels, so good shooters are out there. The Mk 1/2 and 1/3 has the Arsenal upgraded trigger hung off the action body rather than pinned to the trigger guard. Also some No. 4 Mk 2 rifles which have the hung trigger from original post-war production not having gone thru an arsenal rebuild (Factory Thru Repair).

I shot a 294-10x with my No. 4 at the last VMR match. Anything less than 300-30x is shooter error. Not exaggerating either…

Last edited by britrifles; 07-20-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:45 PM

Hiya,

Most likely my Swede M38, however I have been known to use one of my two M96's depending on my mood. I have a super nice CMP service grade M1917 and a Mauser 98-AZ that 's also in great condition, but I don't have as good results with them as I do with any of the Swede's.

I chalk the better results to more trigger time with the Swede's, I started shooting the M96's in VMR matches in the mid '80's when several local clubs started hosting events. I picked up the M38 in '87 I believe and it's been my go-to Non-US VMR match ever since.

The Mauser 98-AZ was an impulse purchase, I found it at a local shop when I was picking up an out-of-state transfer. I didn't see any importer marks nor any Post Office stampings so I think it's most likely a WW1 bring back that eventually was sold to the store as part of an estate. The 8MM with it's heavy bullets (190g) is best described as "a chore to shoot" compared to the 110g '06 loads in the heavier M1917 and "brutal to shoot" compared to the Swede's 100g. Not to mention, off a rest, it's not as accurate as the '06 in the M1917 and it's not in the same league as the unreal accuracy I get from the 6.5's.

My 2 cents, no actual value.
Tom

Tom

Last edited by TomD999; 07-21-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:13 AM

I found the Swede 6.5mm rifles to be extremely accurate off a rest, but sling tension really affected POI. I'm sure that some practice would go a long way as these rifles often are seen near the top. The German Mausers never show up much and the SMLEs don't either. Given the number of those rifles out there, I suspect the fact that they are 8mm and .303 and their limiting rear sights (some models) have much to do with it. Good Shooting. ...