Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2021, 09:03 PM

Question Compass Lake .22 upper question

Does anyone else use a Compass Lake Engineering .22 Upper for practice. After a 16 week wait I finally got mine a few weeks ago and I've got a few questions. I shoot on a 100 yd range using reduced targets. Is 100 yds good or should I shoot from 50 yds? I've got a bunch of Federal AM-22 in 40 gr. that I'm using with fairly good results, at least good enough for practice. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 03-17-2021, 11:50 PM

I have a 22lr AR-15 trainer I built. Mine is a 18-inch CMMG A4 upper that I added a old school DCM float tube to and then added lead to get the weight up to match my AR-15 5.56 match gun.

I honestly shoot at 25-yards with it most of the time at very small targets. At my club we have two 25-yard ranges that are often less used than the 100/200 range and for practice 25-yards is just as hard to shoot well at a 1/4th size target as the full size at 100. I have also shot indoor at a 50-ft range and again just choose a smaller bullseye and it feels the same as shooting at longer ranges.

Good Luck! I have mine setup so it’s basically identical to my match gun. Same trigger, sights, sling, weight etc. it certainly is a whole lot cheaper with $ammo$ what they are.

I print and use these targets.

https://www.ray-vin.com/tech/targets/targetlist.htm

Saves even more money (Hey I’m retired).

Last edited by Quarterbore; 03-17-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:25 AM

I think the idea was that 100 yards with .22 required some wind reading like .223 does at 600 yards? At least thatís what the service rifle guys told me.....could have been pulling my leg.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:53 AM

I have a 22 SR upper as well....
I use it for indoor shooting (so 25yds max).....so I can practice at night etc....
I use the same scaled targets as QB....

But I would suggest you shoot as far out as possible, so yes 100yds if you can.
Yes, it helps as it includes wind calls.....
I'd do it too but all the outdoor ranges I go to, go to atleast 200yds....
So I just shoot my regular loads at 200yds........

Though I do know guys that shoot 22's at 200yds.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:16 AM

Mine shoots about 1.5 MOA so I can shoot at the longer ranges and certainly with Standard velocity ammo the time of flight (which drives wind drift) is long so you can use it to try to read wind and make adjustments etc but I don’t really think the drift will be at all similar between a 22lr and a 5.56. So, you may mess yourself up if you practice and learn to adjust for wind on the 22 and apply it to 5.56.

JMHOs, then again I don’t shoot at 600 yard matches anymore which is where you need to really be able to read the wind and adjust. 100/200 yard reduced matches it just doesn’t matter.

——— on second thought ———
Edit to add Wind calculations:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a317305.pdf

I should sit down and calculate at 100 yards what the wind effect is like with a 22lr compared to 600 yards with 5.56. The numbers might be more similar than I postulated in my initial reply (22 at 100 vs 5.56 at 600)

Last edited by Quarterbore; 03-18-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
I have a 22lr AR-15 trainer I built. Mine is a 18-inch CMMG A4 upper that I added a old school DCM float tube to and then added lead to get the weight up to match my AR-15 5.56 match gun.

I honestly shoot at 25-yards with it most of the time at very small targets. At my club we have two 25-yard ranges that are often less used than the 100/200 range and for practice 25-yards is just as hard to shoot well at a 1/4th size target as the full size at 100. I have also shot indoor at a 50-ft range and again just choose a smaller bullseye and it feels the same as shooting at longer ranges.

Good Luck! I have mine setup so it’s basically identical to my match gun. Same trigger, sights, sling, weight etc. it certainly is a whole lot cheaper with $ammo$ what they are.

I print and use these targets.

https://www.ray-vin.com/tech/targets/targetlist.htm

Saves even more money (Hey I’m retired).
Quarterbore- Thanks for the target link, that's going to help a bunch. I'm retired too, we have to reduce costs wherever we can!
Old 03-18-2021, 10:17 AM

Thank you QB for the target link.

To the OP: I assembled a PSA .22lr AR-15 for Service Rifle practice. I also use it for CMP .22 Sporter matches, and have done well.

It sure saves money practicing sitting/rapid!

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:27 PM

QB:
You can certainly do the math yourself..... but It might be easier to use one of the many ballistic Calculators out there.

I was told long ago that a 22lr at 100 is alot like a 308 at 1000yds............
So I don't look at it as a ballistic match but instead you are ingraining the same steps and approaches in your mind.........
But maybe the Calculations might show a close simularity.

The reason I say shoot out as far as you can is that the further out you shoot, the more likely you are to see mistakes in the groups. (ie vertical stringing because of your hold, or horizontal due to a lack of wind call).
Old 04-06-2021, 12:09 AM

I am on my 2nd CLE 22 Upper (switched from irons to scope) and love it. I also have a CLE service rifle so other than the cartridge size it's almost exactly the same platform allowing year round practice.

I have used my 22 uppers for the indoor smallbore postal league at 50 feet for several years. While I can't argue with the previous comments about shooting at longer distances, especially to learn the effects of wind, you'd be amazed how much better your shooting will be after a season on the little targets. The 4P smallbore targets give a similar sight picture but are much less forgiving of the smallest position mistakes.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeamerica View Post
I am on my 2nd CLE 22 Upper (switched from irons to scope) and love it. I also have a CLE service rifle so other than the cartridge size it's almost exactly the same platform allowing year round practice.

I have used my 22 uppers for the indoor smallbore postal league at 50 feet for several years. While I can't argue with the previous comments about shooting at longer distances, especially to learn the effects of wind, you'd be amazed how much better your shooting will be after a season on the little targets. The 4P smallbore targets give a similar sight picture but are much less forgiving of the smallest position mistakes.
Oh, For Sure!
You get alot of good training shooting those accurate 22's.
And like you said, they can be exact copies of the SR you'd shoot.