Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Default SA Open Box Rebuild Stamps - with and without initials

Guys,
As most of you know I have been saving as much information as I can on the arsenal rebuilds of the 60's (still am), but I also have an interest in the 50's rebuilds.
In this case my interest is in the SA "Open Box" stamped rebuild stocks and specifically in the inspectors initials that were applied.
The term "Open Box" likely got started because most of these appear to have the top or bottom or both border lines removed, though you will also see these with full borders.
So far I have recorded 20 different letter initials as well as a DASH variety. Included in the updated list are the stand-alone Open Box stamps I have seen over the past few years.
I have also added the population numbers I have seen for each. As you can see there are quite a few where the population is pretty small.
I am hoping by bringing up this subject maybe some of you guys have some new ones to add to my list.

As you can see above there are both large and small letter handstamps including a couple that duplicate.

Small Letter example:

Large Letter example:

In the case of the R and the W it appears to me that older Acceptance Stamps were modified and used (what I call "part of the stamp" in the spreadsheet). The letters used are placed and have the same characteristics of the letters in the older stamps.

Example of an R stamp:

The plain Open Box was also used without an inspector's initial. I do not know the reason for the lack of the initial, but they do exist. Many are see in conjunction with an RA stamp that were part of the M1D program, but the ones I am interested in are those that were alone.
Below is one of mine on a stock where it was artfully applied in alignment with an older GAW stamping.

Finally, there also appears an Open Box that has no initial, but it does have a DASH stamped under the SA.

Guys,
If you have any interesting Open Box SA stamps, I would be interested in seeing them. Maybe we can even add to my attached list.

All of the stamps shown above are either currently owned by me or were owned by me with the exception of the Open Box with the DASH. I hope the owner does not mind my using it but I cannot remember the source of the image.

If you do not want to post up your stampings, please do send me a PM and you can share it with me privately.

Lot's of these out there, let's see what you got

Rob

Last edited by rob30-06; 07-16-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 PM

All stamps were re-purposed for the SA open boxe and closed. 3 stamps from originals being SA over W to the bottom right from the GAW. SA over R to the right from the NFR and teh SA over H in the middle being the GHS stamp. The rest were all different people and if a small letter to large was used it meant two different people with same letter. I documented much of this many years back and even had arguments with many big collectors that they never used the original stamps. I finally showed with side by side comparisons once that technology was available. No WWII stamps survived and anyone telling you they did is so full of it their eyes are brown and their shorts are full. Rick B
Old 07-12-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Thanks for the good info

Rick,
Thanks for your insight on these. I agree it is obvious that some stamps were repurposed. Those all share the same characteristics as is easy to see.
Taking a 2nd look at the H's I have recorded (only have four to date) I see now that one appears to be from a re-purposed stamp. The other three appear to be hand-stamped because of obvious misalignment.
I knew I would be able to add more to the list with some feedback for other collectors and knowledgeable individuals.

Rob
Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 PM

Old 07-13-2018, 07:10 PM

I have open box SA RA on my m1d
But you probably already know about those
Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 PM

One I picked up through mail order a few years ago.

https://imgur.com/TcH4SXp
Old 07-14-2018, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG View Post
One I picked up through mail order a few years ago.

https://imgur.com/TcH4SXp
That is one well-struck stamp. I will add it to my census.

thanks,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoman45 View Post
I have open box SA RA on my m1d
But you probably already know about those
Yes, those are real cool, but I see them a little differently than a standard rebuild Open Box since they are related to the M1D program and deserve their own place.

Same time period, though.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post

Rick,
Thanks for adding pictures of the large "part of the stamp" stampings. That top one is beautiful.

Rob

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-15-2018 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts again
Old 07-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Rob, First thanks for the census work, I love it. I have an open box SA with no inspector under it, no wheel, no stock holes for screws, nothing else. Can I assume it is from the M1D program and not rebuild.

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horticattleman View Post
Rob, First thanks for the census work, I love it. I have an open box SA with no inspector under it, no wheel, no stock holes for screws, nothing else. Can I assume it is from the M1D program and not rebuild.
No, these stocks also appeared on generic M1 rifle rebuilds so you can't assume that.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 PM

Just to throw in some additional info to think on, I have an M1903A4 scant style stock with an SA "Open Box" (top rail missing). I am not in a position for pictures, but it is a large box with the large lettered SA at the top, just below where the top bar would have been, and no other stamps inside or around it. The stock also has a serif style "P" in circle on the pistol grip. It is a properly cut (machined bolt cut out) GI M1903A4 stock with a large, flat machined opening for the magazine cutoff, and lots of usage dents and dings - so it saw service somewhere. It is also more crudely shaped in the butt area, and is likely post WWII production, for rebuild purposes - the open SA stamp would seem to make that likely. So, did M1903A4s go through the same rebuild shop at SA? CC