Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_OH View Post
Yeah, that's why I ended up having to ask even after reading the rules. While they seem fairly straightforward at first glance, there seems to be a lot of variation due to changes over time.

As for the M1A stuff...well, it does make me a bit sad that I have 2 garands with arsenal bedded stocks that are only eligible for the Unlimited competition despite them coming from the Department of Defense like that.
That bedding issue is a bit of a head-scratcher too. At least there are new commercial options available, but there are also plenty of stocks worn beyond suitability that have little to almost zero collector value and the modification isn't uniquely 'match' oriented. I guess they have to draw a line somewhere.

Reaching a reasonable solution for AR / M4 / M16 rules certainly can't be easy but I wish they would have left the 8 lbs & optics version alone.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Reaching a reasonable solution for AR / M4 / M16 rules certainly can't be easy but I wish they would have left the 8 lbs & optics version alone.
I think I might have a simple and reasonable solution... every year take the current setups the Army and Marines use for basic rifle qual in both 14.5"/16" and 20" classes, and build the Match Legal spec around those. Annual eval to be right after Camp Perry so everyone has time to adjust before the next year's "season" starts.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:45 AM

I am still baffled as to why they allow free float handguards. This effectively allows one to build a 7.5#, 20" A1 barrel AR that will easily clean the prone phases. This will beat the other MM rifles leaving the match to be decided on the shooters offhand score. Oh well...at least we have a rifle to shoot that leaves everything up to the shooters ability. It would be nice if all those other semi autos were competitive. I miss seeing the FNs, Hakims, Ljungmans, etc. Good Shooting. ....
Old 08-27-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_OH View Post
Yeah, that's why I ended up having to ask even after reading the rules. While they seem fairly straightforward at first glance, there seems to be a lot of variation due to changes over time.

As for the M1A stuff...well, it does make me a bit sad that I have 2 garands with arsenal bedded stocks that are only eligible for the Unlimited competition despite them coming from the Department of Defense like that.
I don't think any armorer in any re-build depot during the 50's 60's and 70's had the CMP games on there mind when adding bedding compound to a M1 Garand stock to make repairs

As far as the MM rules and the AR type rifles scope or no scope. I gave up. I'll stick with my M14/M1A
Old 09-02-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I am still baffled as to why they allow free float handguards. This effectively allows one to build a 7.5#, 20" A1 barrel AR that will easily clean the prone phases. This will beat the other MM rifles leaving the match to be decided on the shooters offhand score. Oh well...at least we have a rifle to shoot that leaves everything up to the shooters ability. It would be nice if all those other semi autos were competitive. I miss seeing the FNs, Hakims, Ljungmans, etc. Good Shooting. ....
Agreed, and that's exactly what I built. It's ugly as sin and I regularly voice my distaste for that rifle, but it will clean prone. I built a Bula 'M14' that is nearly as accurate and shot clean and 98 in the prone stages at Perry Nationals last month. Regardless, matches are pretty much decided by offhand scores anyway.