Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2023, 10:37 PM

Default Vintage rifle shimming handguard band

I have a Swiss G-11, that due to use, shrinkage, entropy, will no longer hold the center handguard band securely with the screw cinched tight. I believe based on the rules, that my field expedient fix of shimming a partial match stick between the stock and handguard to expand this gap and allow the band which also carries the front sling swivel some wood to tension against is legal for Vintage as-issued.

I have a Finn M39 with a similar field expedient repair.

Opinions?
Old 01-08-2023, 12:03 PM

You are working in an area that will receive little interest at inspection, but any use of shims is a possible issue since the rules do not specifically allow such. I would avoid anything obvious. It may be possible to remove some metal from the sling swivel, allowing the band to tighten more, or try another similar band in lieu of a shim that widens the handguard/stock gap. You could build up a layer of varnish or wood filler on the wood beneath the band. Many stocks exhibit repairs with wood filler. Unless you intend to win the vintage military match at Camp Perry, you are not likely to experience any problems.
Good Shooting......

Last edited by ceresco; 01-08-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:16 PM

Well I'm getting into the mid to high 280s with this rifle, so if I have a decent offhand that is not out of the question, hence my question.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:23 AM

I had same minor issue, a couple layers of tape trimmed to fit under the band fixed it. I've had all my rifles "re-inspected" when shooting gold scores at the nationals (never happens at the regional games). It's just trigger weight again.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:35 AM

There is a provision in the as-issued foreign rifle rules that allows the use of shims (see 4.2.5 j); however, it says “placed between the stock and action, barrel, or trigger assembly…” My suggestion is you email the CMP rules interpretation address to get a clarification that your repair is within the scope of the rules. The link for that is on the page where you can download the rulebooks under competitions on the main CMP site. My guess is they’ll tell you you’re ok but it’s nice to have that piece of mind.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:53 PM

This is just my opinion. The repair your describing is not violating any rules. The intent of the shiming rules is for action and barrel bedding.
If you do shoot a gold score, all they do is check your trigger. For whatever reason, turning right off route 2 seems to shave at least 3 points from average. I think others will agree. Good luck!