Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2021, 09:47 AM

Read the grade descriptions!
All 3 grades may be refinished.

The grades are focused on function and serviceability, NOT collectability and finish.
So read the descriptions, do not read into them and make a decision based on that info.

My service grade was not refinished, and some rack grades are refinished.
Set your expectations using facts and you will not be disappointed.

JH
Old 10-13-2021, 01:49 PM

My first round Service Grade Remington Rand 1911A1 was not only refinished, but the lanyard loop was bent, there were a few serious dings in the slide and it has a replacement barrel. The grips had obviously been on the pistol for a long time.

It has a kind of loose fitting of slide to frame and the barrel is loose in the slide. But, I still look at it and wonder were the heck it has been, who carried it and what part in Military History did it play. With all of that, it runs like a champ and shoots fine.

I would not trade it for anything. Many thanks for Those who carried it before I got it in 2019 and many thanks to the CMP for making it happen.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
My first round Service Grade Remington Rand 1911A1 was not only refinished, but the lanyard loop was bent, there were a few serious dings in the slide and it has a replacement barrel. The grips had obviously been on the pistol for a long time.

It has a kind of loose fitting of slide to frame and the barrel is loose in the slide. But, I still look at it and wonder were the heck it has been, who carried it and what part in Military History did it play. With all of that, it runs like a champ and shoots fine.

I would not trade it for anything. Many thanks for Those who carried it before I got it in 2019 and many thanks to the CMP for making it happen.
Great perspective!
FBN
Old 10-13-2021, 02:20 PM

I think the grading system is needed, but no guarantee of getting something, whether newer finish or not - IMHO - I'd love one without a new finish ( that is what I got, but it still looks very much like one I carried).
As said above, some pitting could make it go from a service to a field.

I always think, if I was on the team that went through thousands of guns, I am sure that my judging of each piece would vary every case of pistols. It happens when you are going through each one, making a judgement and putting a tag on them.
A very unappreciated task, I am sure.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I always think, if I was on the team that went through thousands of guns, I am sure that my judging of each piece would vary every case of pistols. It happens when you are going through each one, making a judgement and putting a tag on them.
A very unappreciated task, I am sure.
I don't think it would be that hard.
CMP's criteria is clear, and it's pretty much what was used in the military (or like the CMP Garands); based on quantitative facts and measurements.

As many have said, it favors shooters, NOT collectors.

If CMP were to grade for shooters AND collectors, how many item numbers would be needed, a few dozen?
For each Mfg you would need:
Rack-Field-Service
Slide Mfg match frame Yes/No
Refinish Yes/No Or 3: original finish, fresh repark, worn refinish?)
Arsenal rebuild mark Yes/No (or 1 item number per common mark?)

That's just a start.
How much labor, time and cost would that add to the process? (don't answer, CMP already reviewed and decided)

CMP certainly reviewed something like this and gave us the grades we have.
For those who must have collector's choices it's not a problem, the secondary market is for you. CMP's 1911 program, simply doesn't allow that.
Much like the DCM Garand program; you ordered a Garand and that's what you got, after a year or so.
How many here talk about how great THAT was!

JH
Old 10-13-2021, 09:38 PM

I picked a field grade and got a matching 1945 RR with original finish.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:55 AM

My time has come,,,got the email late on Friday so I have had the opportunity of the weekend to figure out which grade to purchase, assuming I have a choice when I call tomorrow morning.

I have read through the grade descriptions many times and I keep arriving at the same decision, the grades only consider visual condition. Except for rack grade that states the pistol may have broken parts.

When I first sent in my packet I was set on a service grade thinking this grade would be in the highest functioning condition. But after seeing many posts of the pistols others have received this does not seem to be the case.

I do understand that this is all luck of the draw but,,,

For me the least desirable pistol would be one that has been refinished more than once to the point that many of the markings have been lost. Also a very post war replacement slide.

An ANAD rebuild mark would be nice since I live in that area and have worked at the depot on a couple of occasions.

In the end it really does not matter how the pistol looks or to some extent how it shoots, as long as it functions properly. I am just after my little piece of history.

Guess I will flip a coin in the morning.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post
My time has come,,,got the email late on Friday so I have had the opportunity of the weekend to figure out which grade to purchase, assuming I have a choice when I call tomorrow morning.

I have read through the grade descriptions many times and I keep arriving at the same decision, the grades only consider visual condition. Except for rack grade that states the pistol may have broken parts.

When I first sent in my packet I was set on a service grade thinking this grade would be in the highest functioning condition. But after seeing many posts of the pistols others have received this does not seem to be the case.

I do understand that this is all luck of the draw but,,,

For me the least desirable pistol would be one that has been refinished more than once to the point that many of the markings have been lost. Also a very post war replacement slide.

An ANAD rebuild mark would be nice since I live in that area and have worked at the depot on a couple of occasions.

In the end it really does not matter how the pistol looks or to some extent how it shoots, as long as it functions properly. I am just after my little piece of history.

Guess I will flip a coin in the morning.

Eric

You just have to read the descriptions they made and make the best decision based on those alone. They did not grade on collectability which is both good and bad. You don't know what you are getting but sometimes you can get a diamond for the price of a cubic zirconia. I chose rack based on those descriptions... "how many refinished pistols are going to have rust?" I kept saying in my head (unfortunately some people HAVE gotten refinished rack grades with rust speckles). The logic worked for me... chose rack grade and got what appears to be a factory original (not correct...actually original!) '44 Ithaca minus the grips that were replaced in an AA rebuild with an original finish. I have not seen more than a handful of pistols on the forums I would consider trading it for. That said.... I have seen some gems in all three grades but rack grade seems to be great for a gambling man. If I hadn't chose rack I definitely would have chosen field.

https://imgur.com/ZzTir3K

Last edited by Deppizzymo; 12-05-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:56 AM

Another way of looking at it is that if you get one of the service grades that comes straight from rebuild without having been reissued, it probably saw a lot of use since it need refurbishment. It is exactly as it would have been issued to a serviceman.
My Ithaca went from the factory to the USN at Oakland in 1943. After that I can only imagine where it saw service. Was it issued to a SP, aboard a ship in the Pacific? Was it issued to a Marine who fought from island to island?
What I do know is that it was re-arsenalled by the USMC at Logistics Base Albany Georgia and then packed away waiting , ready to go, if the need ever arose.
https://i.imgur.com/je5Fg5a.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/je5Fg5a.jpg
Old 12-06-2021, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the replies y’all.

Gonna go for a service grade, will see what’s available when I call.

I have been rather calm since I sent in my packet but now that the time to order is here I am getting excited.

Eric