Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2022, 06:33 PM

Default South Store Opening?

Is there any information as to when the South store will reopen. I would like to drive up to buy some rifles but not to the TMP for one or two rifles.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:54 PM

I wouldn't count on it being anytime soon. CMP does not currently have inventory to support mail order on most items. The stores will almost certainly not reopen until/unless that situation changes.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:34 AM

The problem with mail order is that you can't get 1917s, 1903s,1903a3s or Krags except in person at the stores. And TMP seems like an afterthought.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:47 AM

Historically, '17s, '03s/03As, and even Krags have indeed been available for mail order back when inventory was sufficient to support it. When they were last sold in the stores, inventory was nearing the end and they may now indeed be out of those too, except for the odd few that trickle in. Regardless of whose business model you use, it is not economically sound to open and staff a walk-in store for the sole purpose of selling a dozen or so items a week, assuming they even have that.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:35 PM

I missed out on the Krags when they had them, but luckily I snagged one not too long ago
Old 01-23-2022, 09:38 PM

Well with one rifle per customer a road trip is not worth it.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:40 PM

I also made the trip. Went March 2021 right before they closed. 9 hour one way with my dad. My GCA membership was expiring and I had never been to a store and wasn't sure if I would renew or not since the hxp ammo dried up and I got my 1911. Saw store reports with A3s and some parade Krags and decided it was now or never. What an amazing trip. Came home with a 1941 M1 with lock bars and original barrel/USGI stock, a shortened parade Krag that I think is just beautiful and an all correct Remington A3. No straight 03s were left by that point but it would be hard for me to find anything from that trip worth complaining about. Felt even better when I realized that really was my last chance for a good while with the store closing up soon afterwards.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:52 PM

The thing about the store is that you can actually hold the gun in your hand and see if it speaks to you. My 03a3 looked like a complete dog, black paint or something all over it. But the bore readings were 1-1 and it wasn't dinged up too bad. Once I cleaned it up I realized and I had a prize in my hand. It was one of the first 03a3's made in December of 1942 and it cleaned up to discover a tiger stripe stock.
https://i.imgur.com/HN60x76.jpeg

Last edited by Capt.Tom; 01-27-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:50 AM

Do you think South Store will be open by April? Looking to make the trip with my eighty year old dad, but might hold out a little longer so he gets the full experience (Start at Anniston, finish at Talladega)
Old 02-27-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Rifleman View Post
Do you think South Store will be open by April? Looking to make the trip with my eighty year old dad, but might hold out a little longer so he gets the full experience (Start at Anniston, finish at Talladega)
For whatever reason CMP is very secretive about everything they do but I wouldn't be surprised if south store never reopened. If you want a chance to pick out your own rifle I'd recommend making a trip to TMP or north store as soon as possible