Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
I'm working on one. Picked up a 1922 barrel and the M2 bolt here and there, now am working on one of my drill rifles for the conversion. I'd considered doing the liner thing. Will consider it for a later project. I'm thinking I could offset the breech of the liner to get the firing pin lined up with the rim of the cartridge. Maybe??? My other thought would be to see if I could use one of my extra BR's from a 44US - machine the receiver and or '03 receiver to accept the 44US receiver. Machine out the '03 rear end so I could pull the 44US bolt out for cleaning etc. I'm always interested in photos of this project... keep me in the loop, svp.
So I'm curious how your coming along on the project? I'm still working on a correct loading platform. The M2 is one a few rimfires that are control feed. I didn't realize this when I stared the project.
You have to feed the round up, from below. Its designed to only feed from a magazine. If you just stick the round in the chamber and push the bolt closed, you risk setting off the round when extractor claw snaps over the rim.

If someone would share how they have overcome this control feed issue I'd love to see it

Last edited by hebes405; 01-28-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
. . . .If you just stick the round in the chamber and push the bolt closed, you risk setting of the round when extractor claw snaps over the rim.

If someone would share how they have overcome this control feed issue I'd love to see it
I have been loading my M1922 for YEARS this way. . . .with NO out of battery detonations at all!

About the only way to have such an OOB explosion by doing so, would be if the extractor did not “give way” while snapping over the rim.

Keep the bolt face clean and operating correctly and there will be no problem!
Old 12-24-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I have been loading my M1922 for YEARS this way. . . .with NO out of battery detonations at all!

About the only way to have such an OOB explosion by doing so, would be if the extractor did not “give way” while snapping over the rim.

Keep the bolt face clean and operating correctly and there will be no problem!
Your lucky. I've had an out of battery with another rimfire by forcing the bolt closed. I'm working out details on an angled loading platform, very similar to a 40x.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:12 PM

Egad! I haven't been in this thread for a while. Hebes: I'm going the easy route on this one. I have so many in my "to do" pile that I just started giving jobs to my gunsmith. He's gonna attack this job sooner or later and if it gets TOO $$$, he'll quit and I'll probably flush it. At 72, I don't need thousands of to-do's. I'll bring up the feed thing to him. Maybe a lighter spring in the extractor or custom altered extractor or who knows... I'll have to ponder this one. Worst case scenario: I'll have more stuff to list down in the getting-rid-of section bellow.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:20 PM

They been shooting 1922 single shot for 100yrs without magazine inserted. 22lr mauser has similar extractor shoot them single too.

My guess is youll have a harder time getting it to extract than extractor ever firing a round in an open chamber unlocked bolt.

Smag~

Last edited by smag; 12-30-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:36 PM

A few years ago, i bought a low number M1903 with a burned-out barrel from the CMP for $100.00. Had a quality 22 rim fire barrel liner installed with a rear extension to match the M2 bolt (which I bought in Ohio). Important that the M2 bolt has the headspace adjustment.

I found a pre WW2 Lyman 438 scope that I sent to Iron Sight for restoration (they do excellent work)

I decided to make scope blocks and started with a tall front barrel block, then made a dovetail mount for the rear without drilling the receiver. very solid mount. I just started shooting this rifle and I can tell it is going to be accurate.

Unable to post photos but did post them on milsurps and gunboards
Old 12-30-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smag View Post
They been shooting 1922 single shot for 100yrs without magazine inserted. 23lr mauser has similar extractor shoot them single too.

My guess is youll have a harder time getting it to extract than extractor ever firing a round in an open chamber unlocked bolt.

Smag~
That's good to know you haven't had any problems with the M2 single loading. I have actually had an out of battery with my mauser 22, that's what made me question the feed system in the first place. Maybe the M2 extractor claw has more spring built into it than the mauser model I have.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:03 AM

The 1922 rifles could be used single-shot. Here is an excerpt from Tech Manual TM 9-280, (1940).

Although not specific to single-shot operation, it is important to know that the extractor hook was shaped differently between the M1922MI and the M2. The Tech Manual has warnings not to use the MI extractor on an M2.

Art
Old 12-30-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWL View Post
The 1922 rifles could be used single-shot. Here is an excerpt from Tech Manual TM 9-280, (1940).

Although not specific to single-shot operation, it is important to know that the extractor hook was shaped differently between the M1922MI and the M2. The Tech Manual has warnings not to use the MI extractor on an M2.

Art
Thanks for posting that Art. While waiting on finding a magazine I have gingerly been shooting it a bit, doing exactly what the manual says. Good to know it's "OK", but still guys have been injured it says. But overall I'm not completely thrilled with "slam feeding" rounds in guns with controlled feed extractors (always load my '03s out of magazine during slow fire). Once I get my magazine (one on way yeah!) I'll use that just because.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:14 PM

Well, I finally got the feed tray/ ramp figured out
https://imgur.com/a/SZVAOgu