Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2022, 06:39 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then it is just this year's flavor of Shot Show Vaporware.

I'm still waiting for those H&R 5200 sporters to start showing up at the LGS.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Springfield View Post
If they are really doing this, their market is not CMP guys...Obviously there is zero collector interest.
i don't think anyone from this latest generation has ever bought anything that wouldn't arrive at the doorstep within a few days. they use apps to avoid waiting for fast food. it seems like anything you buy from CMP could be flipped for at least 50% profit and more likely double your money on auction sites, so CMP prices are below market, albeit with going through the process, waiting, and a little mystery about what will arrive baked into the price.

this may sound like sacrilege here, but there is no shortage of people who would prefer a new colt 1911 to going through the process of ordering a mystery CMP M1911A1, or prefer a new colt SAA to bidding on an old USGI. i could see a lot of gamers who get into shooting wanting a factory new garand/m16 clone just for the shooting/owning experience, without any concern for what USGI collectors think, especially if they can fire 30-06 off the store shelf without damaging it. $2k no problem if they limit production.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucraC View Post
i could see a lot of gamers who get into shooting wanting a factory new garand/m16 clone just for the shooting/owning experience, without any concern for what USGI collectors think, especially if they can fire 30-06 off the store shelf without damaging it. $2k no problem if they limit production.
A lot of truth here I think. Gaming and television have done a lot for firearm sales. Young people play Call of Duty and watch these movies/shows with Navy Seals carrying ARs, and they want one too. "Tacticool." To a lesser extent but still significant, these games and shows promote the vintage guns too. Plenty of people have watched Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan and decided they wanted those guns. I always wanted a Garand and M1 Carbine, but I must admit, I was finally motivated to actually buy a carbine when I rewatched The Pacific.

As for USGI or clone, there will always be people who love the new and shiny and those who love history/antiques. It's more a personality thing than anything else I think.

Last edited by Oogie; 01-28-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie View Post
A lot of truth here I think. Gaming and television have done a lot for firearm sales. Young people play Call of Duty and watch these movies/shows with Navy Seals carrying ARs, and they want one too. "Tacticool." To a lesser extent but still significant, these games and shows promote the vintage guns too. Plenty of people have watched Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan and decided they wanted those guns. I always wanted a Garand and M1 Carbine, but I must admit, I was finally motivated to actually buy a carbine when I rewatched The Pacific.

As for USGI or clone, there will always be people who love the new and shiny and those who love history/antiques. It's more a personality thing than anything else I think.
I've watched Band of Brothers several times and also read the book. I can't imagine myself watching The Pacific again. It's sitting in the same box as The Thin Red Line.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure who collects Garands. I know one kid (he's in his 30's and I call him kid so that dates me) at the club who has a collection. I sometimes think that CMP is selling them to the same group of guys who were buying the maximum allotment every year and trying to build "correct" samples. After just reading an in depth discussion of en bloc collecting on this forum and breathlessly waiting for one of the participants to find somebody who could successfully (and yes there were failed attempts) post a picture and a working link of a type 1 en bloc I'm thinking the population of collectors might actually be diminishing.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt_1955 View Post
I'm not sure who collects Garands. I know one kid (he's in his 30's and I call him kid so that dates me) at the club who has a collection. I sometimes think that CMP is selling them to the same group of guys who were buying the maximum allotment every year and trying to build "correct" samples. After just reading an in depth discussion of en bloc collecting on this forum and breathlessly waiting for one of the participants to find somebody who could successfully (and yes there were failed attempts) post a picture and a working link of a type 1 en bloc I'm thinking the population of collectors might actually be diminishing.
The Thin Red Line book is much better. The movie is very disappointing.

I wouldn't really know, but I think you're right that most collectors are older and diminishing. Younger guys can't usually afford 8 Garands a year.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:14 AM

you can buy a AR today that is much better and more accurate than the original from the 1960s. so, maybe the new production M-1 will be better also
Old 01-29-2022, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt_1955 View Post
Granted it was a few years ago, but I seem to recall someone from CMP has stated in the past that most sales are for one or two rifles. The percentage was very high. Something like 95% of sales were not repeat customers.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Gaming and television have done a lot for firearm sales. Young people play Call of Duty and watch these movies/shows with Navy Seals carrying ARs, and they want one too. "Tacticool." To a lesser extent but still significant, these games and shows promote the vintage guns too. Plenty of people have watched Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan and decided they wanted those guns. I always wanted a Garand and M1 Carbine, but I must admit, I was finally motivated to actually buy a carbine when I rewatched The Pacific.
there are lots of popular western games now like that red dead one and war games where they can choose their weapons and get a first person experience that probably make this generation MORE appreciative of the classics than my generation (x) was in the 80's and 90's. of course broadband internet changed everything the past 15-20 years. as soon as a well built clone gets released and reviewed, the orders will come.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:52 AM

Both forged and cast receivers need at least some machining in the end. It's the forged vs cat to get the original part that folks are concerned about. I'm still trying to fined a decent M14 receiver to build out my parts kit.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567