Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie View Post
It would be nice if they were more forthcoming about stock levels and what they see for the future. Just imagine though, whenever the end is near, if they announced it publicly they would be absolutely overwhelmed with the tsunami of orders from people trying to get in a last order. The stores would be flooded like those Black Friday videos we've all seen. Ok maybe not quite that bad, but still pretty bad.
My guess is part of the reason, maybe a big part, why the CMP is cautious about publicizing anything related to their stock levels and/or what the future holds - is that news would be a major driver of market prices "out in the wild". Not saying this is right or wrong, but I do think it is a factor the CMP takes into consideration.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunng23 View Post
carbines! that reminds me to call my son. back when the CMP had racks of them and we were at the NS I think 10 years ago, maybe more. I was looking at them and my son said "why do you want one of those things". I didn't think much of it at the time considering the NS is only 50 minutes away. So we got another M1 and then they were all gone, the prices were crazy and I never got "one of those things"
Was lucky to pick up a couple carbines at the North Store. An Underwood in July 2015 and a NPM in May 2017. Neither cost over $800......
Old 01-27-2022, 07:35 PM

The carbine debacle was horrible. I paid a lot to have my application delivered "next day" only to have the CMP honor all the early mailings and post that they were "full" at 9AM on the day that orders were supposed to start.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt_1955 View Post
The carbine debacle was horrible. I paid a lot to have my application delivered "next day" only to have the CMP honor all the early mailings and post that they were "full" at 9AM on the day that orders were supposed to start.
Same. Are they *officially* done with carbines, outside of auction? I keep holding out hope there’ll be a “next time.”
Old 01-28-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Rifleman View Post
Same. Are they *officially* done with carbines, outside of auction? I keep holding out hope there’ll be a “next time.”
I do not think they wouldn't sell them if they had them at that volume again, as much as they would put a lot more thought and care into how they did it. That first go around was a badly handled circus. If I had to guess, it would look a lot more like the 1911 sales.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:44 AM

Check out the bolt rifle sale in Fall 2011.

BOLT ACTION RIFLES NOW AVAILABLE: CMP has completed the inspection and sorting of all the model M1903, M1903A3, M1917, and Krag rifles we accumulated over the past several years. Please see http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/rifles.htm for description and pricing of available options. Quantity is relatively small and we expect these will sell quickly. For some models, the quantity is so small that we will sell those in the stores at Camp Perry and Anniston only. Mail orders will be processed in sequence received while quantities last. Please note that there are no large quantities of these models remaining anywhere. Limit of one per model per person until 3 Jan, 2012, at which time limits will be lifted on any remaining models.

CMP was very specific, listing quantities of every variant available mail order and/or in store. Testing my memory but I think there were ~1700 rifles and they received over 2500 orders in the first mail drop on the first day of sales.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:58 AM

I wasn't around then, but I'm going to guess there was a lot less whining&complaining from that 2011 offering than that last CMP Carbine offering.

And I'm fairly certain that CMP learns from that sort of negative feedback - why present offerings to the buying public when most of the resulting feedback is negative: Qty.1, "Thank you"; vs Qty.10, "It's not fair!"
Old 01-29-2022, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
I wasn't around then, but I'm going to guess there was a lot less whining&complaining from that 2011 offering than that last CMP Carbine offering.

And I'm fairly certain that CMP learns from that sort of negative feedback - why present offerings to the buying public when most of the resulting feedback is negative: Qty.1, "Thank you"; vs Qty.10, "It's not fair!"
I don't Rember there being an excess amount of whining the last Carbine offering, but that may be because I was able to get one and my memory is keying on the positives.

Either way, while I agree that it is unlikely to see them do a mail order offering of carbines again, it isn't because of any issue with the last sale. The primary reason is it is unlikely they will ever get carbines in large quantity again. The secondary reason is their desire to stock the stores and have nice offerings at the traveling games.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:59 PM

A decade ago when I used to live in Los Angeles I remember the Martin Retting gun shop used to have a whole milsurp section including a revolving rack of M1 Carbines. I wanna say they always had ten or so in stock and I still kick myself for not buying one. If only then I appreciated “they won’t be around forever.” Man those were the days.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:12 PM

There was one exception. A year or two back the North Store got sent a single carbine. They hid it on the sales floor as an easter egg hunt, and the first to find it, got to buy it.

The auctions do bring in good money, but it's volume is low, so it's a slow way to move stock. Things in the auction room sit for a long long time before being auctioned.

The stores seem to be the preferred way to move the lower stock items that would overwelm the auctions, but there aren't enough to sell mail order. I suspect the Service and Field grades will now join this group.