Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Default So, Is the auction cupboard empty?

I notice that fewer and fewer items are being offered through the Auction site. Basically a couple of M1 Garands each week with a couple/three odds and ends thrown in. The only thing added this week was a service grade SA, and a HRA consecutive pair of Garands.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:41 PM

Cool

go there now.....
Old 10-01-2018, 06:41 PM

I have noticed that the same rifles come up for auction more then once. Deadbeats I guess???
Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM

Some people win an auction and then donate the rifle back to CMP. That would allow CMP to auction the rifle again.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 [Univ. of Alabama Press,1975])
Old 10-01-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoetc View Post
Some people win an auction and then donate the rifle back to CMP. That would allow CMP to auction the rifle again.
Sounds like an A-hole thing to do. Why not leave the auction process alone and not screw with the other bidders? If they want to donate money, they can easily do it without F’ing up the auctions. Just write a check payable to the CMP and mail it to Anniston.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinson View Post
I have noticed that the same rifles come up for auction more then once. Deadbeats I guess???
Don't jump to conclusions. I personally don't believe there are a lot of people who decide to not pay. The CMP is very accommodating and will work with people. I have heard of them letting people have extra time to get the funds together for items. In my experience I see the paperwork and there was an issue with the paperwork, and when they called I was out of the country. After a week or two they emailed me, and I explained where I was and that it was for work (I'm military), and they told e just get the paperwork to me when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post
Sounds like an A-hole thing to do. Why not leave the auction process alone and not screw with the other bidders? If they want to donate money, they can easily do it without F’ing up the auctions. Just write a check payable to the CMP and mail it to Anniston.

GuapoPogi
I could see that as it could artificially inflate prices (but most things on the auction go for much more than they should), but for some it may be the "thrill of the hunt" and they enjoy trying to outbid someone. Of course if they can afford to donate a rifle, they probably are going to win at all costs.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapoPogi View Post

GuapoPogi
Or as has been my case, maybe you decide that it would not fit in with what you have after you've won it and decide to donate it back. That gives the CMP two incomes from the auction item and nothing stops the ones who lost on the first round from bidding on it in the second. Would you rather I kept the item and sold it locally or give those who have access to the CMP auction a chance to try for it?
Old 10-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
Or as has been my case, maybe you decide that it would not fit in with what you have after you've won it and decide to donate it back. That gives the CMP two incomes from the auction item and nothing stops the ones who lost on the first round from bidding on it in the second. Would you rather I kept the item and sold it locally or give those who have access to the CMP auction a chance to try for it?
Don, my comment was not meant for your situation but I have heard it mentioned here before that other people have bid up auctions on things they have no interest in. Sometimes winning and not paying and sometimes just paying and letting the CMP keep the firearm. I don't work at the CMP so I have no first hand knowledge of this and would not accuse anyone of intentionally screwing with the system without first hand knowledge of it.

That being said I stand behind my point that screwing with the auctions by someone bidding on something that they are not really interested in buying is an A-hole thing to do.

GuapoPogi
Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 PM

So did CMP go off the rails or what? Nothing significant has been on the auction site in about a month. Bunch of crap has been posted on it.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:38 PM

Maybe they are busy with the 1911's?..

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll
Closed Thread