Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2022, 11:03 PM

While researching Grandfathers WWI USMC service, found a list of M1911's one of the sergeants was concealing as part if the summary of his courts martial in the muster rolls. Weird stuff shows up in such odd and unexpected places. Good Luck.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:23 AM

My father at close of WWII , went to turn in his 1911 pistol first issued to him in 1943 at Pine Camo New York . Now in Germany 1945, war over, Supply Sergeant told him no records exist on the pistol and keep it. The pistol is in my gun safe. **

The example is not out of the ordinary in those times. War was over, turn off the lights and go home Massive stand down of men and material. Property accountability went out the window. I don't blame that generation one bit, they sacrificed, got the war won and wanted to get on with life. And they did just that.

** No bring back papers, no DD forms and I don't care. Not for sale and could give a hoot if any collector has a comment to offer. The old man told me he landed on D Day at Utah Beach and that pistol went all the way to Czechoslovakia with him in 4th Armor Division. Family history now and
end of story.

Last edited by milprileb; 05-17-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:03 PM

Milprileb, Great story, your father was part of the greatest generation. Glad you got his .45. I served my active duty service during Vietnam and things get crazy during war time. I served with a buddy later on who was a crew chief on a C141. No telling how much stuff he bootlegged out of country.