Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
As noted above some folks are just better shots no matter what. the 7.5MM Swiss round has outstanding ballistics. The 6.5MM Swedish is also outstanding. The Fins/Swedish have been holding match shoots with their rifle types for 100+ years ago shooting a 500M match as a normal course with iron sights.
Interestingly enough his match rifle from a few years ago was an M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 and dominated this match as well. He got tired of that rifle and switched to M1 last year and got tired of that and now Swiss 1911.
You give this guy a blow gun and he might win with it too.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:10 PM

The military sniper with the highest number of kills was a Finn named Simo Hayha. He killed 505 Russian soldiers during the Winter War. Half of his kills were done with a Finish model 28 Mosin Nagant. The rest were done with a sub machine gun. All of his shots were taken using standard iron sights, not with a telescopic sight.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:27 PM

Aren't the bulls-eyes the same size for both (scopes and irons)?
Old 05-25-2022, 02:16 AM

I build custom rifles. I don’t know how many times customers want stuff thinking it will make them a better shooter. Most of the time it don’t. Reminds me of guys going to high speed 6 and 6.5 rounds because they can’t read wind and need the faster bullet and rounds as a crutch. Matches I use to work there was a guy who would use a off the shelf Remington Police in .308 and kick their a$$ every time. The difference he was a military/police sniper and knew how to read wind. It’s the nut behind the bolt every time.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
As noted above some folks are just better shots no matter what. the 7.5MM Swiss round has outstanding ballistics. The 6.5MM Swedish is also outstanding. The Fins/Swedish have been holding match shoots with their rifle types for 100+ years ago shooting a 500M match as a normal course with iron sights.
Better shots are made, not born. Practice.

Looking at service rifle as an example, hitting the 600 yard black is not all that hard. Where many shooters fall down is never learning the basics of marksmanship (or not paying attention to them), and not shooting enough to get an appreciation for wind and mirage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateCA View Post
I build custom rifles. I donít know how many times customers want stuff thinking it will make them a better shooter. Most of the time it donít. Reminds me of guys going to high speed 6 and 6.5 rounds because they canít read wind and need the faster bullet and rounds as a crutch. Matches I use to work there was a guy who would use a off the shelf Remington Police in .308 and kick their a$$ every time. The difference he was a military/police sniper and knew how to read wind. Itís the nut behind the bolt every time.
You have a point, but there is nothing wrong with using a faster bullet to mitigate wind. Actually a higher BC is the key, so your bullet hangs on to its velocity farther downrange.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-25-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
Some people practice more.

Now, the cat is out of the bag.

Practice is the " only " way to get better at something no matter what the investment in equipment is.

Viva America
RVN 67-68
Old 05-25-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Now, the cat is out of the bag.

Practice is the " only " way to get better at something no matter what the investment in equipment is.

Viva America
I have to agree with you 100%. The shooter that has been winning this match practice weekly on this same silhouette range coupled that with two silhouette matches he shoots monthly makes sense that practice really makes a difference.

Other shooters he competes with don't practice and only shoot during the match and it shows.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:19 AM

Outstanding shooter with an accurate rifle....best shooter will always win. Just like in war, the better infantryman wins the fire fight.

Comments made by others above are all right on the money.

That said, and no one really flagged this .....at 200/300 CMP Game distances, a decent iron sight shooter can easily win the match over those with scoped rifles but take it out to 600 yds as is the case with Service Rifle courses of fire, the guy with scope rifle will win the match most most always if skill sets of shooters are equal.

The shooter who is winning matches in this threads example devoted much effort to prepare and the results are his winning.