Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
. . . .May I ask you how you have come up with your staunch reply?
What is your evidence it's correct? . . . . .
My evidence, though flimsy, is based on how I got the stock.
It came from a good friend that got it many years ago (back in the late 1950’s) . . .before the wide-spread fakery we now see.

As an aside . . . .
I believe there are some original stocks, used on IHC Garands, that also have ordnance acceptance marks on the RIGHT side.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:03 PM

Hi Jim,

Well if you had it for many years, it might just another oddity or loose end, we hope someone can tie up. It could be a new employee mistakenly stamped it on the wrong side in error!
If you follow the CMP board, you know that more then one member has spent weeks or years gathering records of various changes on almost all production issue rifles. Issued to the various service branch's. I was hoping you were one of them.

Thanks for your reply,
broom
Old 04-21-2021, 03:40 PM

I’m hoping that it can somehow be validated as authentic. That would be cool. May take some magic or something but strange things have been getting discovered by the “old-timers” for years. The OW stamp on the right side of some IHCs is well established I believe. And that would be for the Garands. Anyway, thanks for bringing it up. Best success.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
I thought M1 Carbines were suppose to have stamp on right side and M1 Garand and 03/A3 was on the left?
Typically correct. The Ord wheel is usually on the right side of a carbine and back on the stock but the 03/M1 have them on the left just under the rear of the action. Those folks are comparing apples to oranges.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback. If John Beard says "No.", then I don't hold out much hope for an identification on this stock. If it is a non-GI reproduction stock, then it is very well done. I still say it can't be the only one out there. Still hoping for an explanation. Maybe I should have said "clearly struck" instead of "deeply struck". I have seen many legit ordnance wheel markings struck deeper than this one.

Last edited by ropinc; 04-22-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:26 AM

Cant say definitively regarding the OP's stock, but as a federal artisan working at a military depot level repair facility for the last 15 years, stamps and markings get put all over the damn place!
Old 04-22-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropinc View Post
I'm looking at a 1903 C stock marked in a way that I have never seen.

It is a well made stock. It has two cross bolts. No grasping grooves. It has no markings on the left side. On the right side, near the rear cross bolt, is a deeply struck large ordnance wheel.

None of my reference books cover a stock marked like this. Has anybody seen a stock marked like this? There can't be only one of them out there. Thanks for the help in advance.
Could you post a photo of the ordnance wheel on the 1903 stock?

I once saw a ordnance wheel on a 1903 stock with no hardware or hole drilled in the fore end. I thought it was strange an acceptance stamp would be present on a stock which likely had not been assembled as part of a complete rifle. Only 1903 stock I could recall that had a ordnance wheel. I passed on buying the stock.