Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Default underwood stock

What is the proper stock for serial 40287XX? Was just looking to put some underwood furniture on my rebuild but I may have acquired the correct wood for it, not sure. The stock I got is a type 3 low wood, not cut. P-U with a very faint GHD over UEF and a P stamp no circle. Also no selector switch cut. I did also get a P-U 2 rivet for it. I think it is pretty close but I am far from a pro.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

What is the barrel date on this carbine?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:14 PM

I would think the correct stock for your rifle would be a type II with UEF over GHD in square and cross cannon outside square. They started using the rectangular GHD over UEF w/ cannon in box around 10/43 that's around 4.06 mil but it was highwood as well.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:28 PM

8-43
Old 05-04-2021, 06:18 PM

With an 8-43 Underwood barrel, I certainly would expect a highwood oval cut (type 2) stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys56 View Post
8-43
Old 05-04-2021, 07:02 PM

So roughly when was the type 3 stock introduced? I will probably never correct it but I really did not like the potbelly. I will hang on to it bc that is what it's last rebuild decided for it at RIA. Is it worth more with underwood furniture even though it is not exactly correct for it or worth more in the potbelly rebuild, IDK. It is wearing work clothes now and I like it.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:19 AM

Introduction of the type 3 (low wood) stock varies between manufacturers. Some never adopted the type 3 stock. Of those that did adopt the low wood stock, it began somewhere in early to mid 1944.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys56 View Post
So roughly when was the type 3 stock introduced? I will probably never correct it but I really did not like the potbelly. I will hang on to it bc that is what it's last rebuild decided for it at RIA. Is it worth more with underwood furniture even though it is not exactly correct for it or worth more in the potbelly rebuild, IDK. It is wearing work clothes now and I like it.