Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2021, 04:34 PM

Default Please help me authenticate this M1A1 stock!

My cousin passed and his wife inherited his few guns. One of which is a Winchester M1 in an M1A1 folding paratrooper stock. My cousin had always told her and me that the stock was authentic, although it did not have the correct Inland Carbine in it. She has asked me to do my best to verify whether or not the stock is an authentic M1A1 stock and not a fake or replica. I have been doing what research I can on the net and with the help of this site, The Carbine Collectorís Club site and forum and others and a few books including Craig Rieschís US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production, 8th Edition and The Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 carbine by Bruce Canfield, Iíve recently absorbed a lot of M1 and M1A1 info!
As my cousin always told me and Iíve verified, original M1A1 carbines were only produced by Inland ( I believe in the period from late 1942 through late 1944). As I said above, the carbine that is currently in the stock is a Winchester and it is in the 5,643,XXX serial number range. So far, and I have not disassembled the carbine all the way, but so far it exhibits all correct Winchester parts to the neighborhood of a that serial number. I know that there may have been the field expedient marriage of an M1A1 stock and a Winchester carbine during the WWII or Korea and hat according to Riesch, ĒA rebuilt M1A1 Carbine could have a mix of parts as well as a non-Inland receiverĒ. All that said, I am not here to question or seek pontification (is that even a word?) on the Winchester/M1A1 stock marriage but to ask you good folks based on your vast knowledge and experience and my somewhat less than perfect photographs, whether you think it is an original M1A1 stock or not.
I will sincerely appreciate any opinions you could pass on and I will be happy to take any additional photographs that may be requested except having to disassemble the stock itself. I donít trust myself to not mess something up! Some of the photos may be close to being duplicates but I felt that a slightly different angle might help some folks. I have a full backstory on my cousinís acquisition of the carbine and stock but I might bore some people with that. I will say that he got it from a walkin guy at a gun show and he was told that the guyís father served in Korea late 1966-7 and then in Vietnam 1967-68ish in the Air Force. My cousin remembered that because he also served in Nam.
Please let me know what you think. Best regards Bear

I will post more pictures in a followup post because of photo limit!. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:39 PM

I'd say it looks like a legit rebuild issue M1A1 stock. so yes the stock was produced during the WWII years but not issued til after the war.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 05-01-2021, 05:29 PM

Left side of stock where folding butt rests is deeply sanded. No P proof on rear end of wood stock? Channel IO is rather clear compared to most......
Old 05-01-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeeby View Post
Left side of stock where folding butt rests is deeply sanded. No P proof on rear end of wood stock? Channel IO is rather clear compared to most......
Stocks produced as spares didn't have a rear circled P. So when issued for Korean War, sent out to MAP countries, etc., a plain P on the grip signifies a post war rebuild
I have a CMP Auction Greek return M1A1 just like it

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 05-02-2021, 05:04 AM

ITs good to go. Nuff Said.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:47 AM

AGREE! ORIGINAL and looks like a early 'Fat Boy' grip.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone!! She will be glad to know your opinions!! Best regards, Bear
Old 05-09-2021, 01:18 PM

It’s the real deal and went through Augusta Arsenal rebuild program.