Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2021, 12:50 PM

Default AR15 MT H-Bar needs a diet.

Hello
I will be using my colt MT 66001 H-bar for my first VMR MMR class A competition. It weights 8.0 lbs according to colt spec. I need to lose at least a half a lb. Rules say must be 7.5 lbs without sling.
Looking at replacing upper receiver with a lighter barrel and a collapsible stock. Going to replace trigger with Geissele Hi-spd national match trigger .
My question is: best collapsible stock ( closest to military)
And lighter 223/5.56 barrel with floating tube.
Not looking to buy another AR at the moment
Thanks for your help
Old 05-07-2021, 01:13 PM

I’m not sure how you’ll want the balance to be, but the BCM MCMR and ALG EMR are fairly light handguards. For barrels, Ballistic Advantage Hanson, Faxon Gunner, and BCM Enhanced Lightweight are probably the lightest easily found.

Plastic CAR-15 stocks are fairly small and light.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:37 PM

Given the cost of Colts of any type I would encourage you to buy a new complete upper and keep your original one. You can easily replace the stock and keep the original parts too. This way you could switch from AR-15A2 HBAR to M4 clone as you wish and still have the original parts with the lower.

If you don’t want that, you can also sell your original Colt upper and use the funds to pay for your new upper. A much better place to look for all of this is http://www.AR15.com

Lots of colts out there but a majority of them are no longer in original form.

I use a Bushmaster 1:7 twist 14.5-inch w/Phantom hider with a Bushmaster 6-position stock for as issued matches if I want to use the AR-15. It does fine but I more often use a Garand.

Last edited by Quarterbore; 05-07-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:40 PM

Isn't the 14.5 barrel below the legal limit? I thought it had to be 16 in. And if I buy the 14.5 with the bolt groups be interchangeable? Thanks
Old 05-07-2021, 09:15 PM

Yes, to be a non-Short Barreled Upper, it needs to be 16-inches. You can use a 14.5-inch however if you have a long suppressor like the Phantom pinned and welded. The end result is a barrel that is about 16.1-inches with suppressor as opposed to about 17-inches if you start with a 16 and use a removable A2 flash hider.

The only parts that must be swapped is your buffer and spring inside the stock as the carbine buffer tube is shorter than an AR-15 Rifle buffer tube. The bolt, carrier and all other parts as long as you are sticking to the same caliber (ie 5.56) will be the same.

Now, you might need to evaluate if your pivot pin is a small (mil spec) size or a Colt specific large pin. Finding large pin uppers is a bit more of a challenge especially if you want to do an A3 with removable carry handle but there are adapter pins you can use until you can find a large pivot flattop receiver.

Last edited by Quarterbore; 05-07-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:11 PM

Hi Quarterbore
I might be going your route, all the vendors Ken792 gave me (which were great btw) are NIS on upper receiver or barrels. I did find a M4 stock which I think will help with weight lost and I will place an order for a white oak M4 upper receiver, post ban. Looking at the cmp game rules it does not mention any barrel length rules , so I was thinking of the M4 stock with the H-bar upper receiver for now . Till I find the right upper. My trigger is in route (that was fast)
Old 05-08-2021, 08:32 PM

Brownells has a nice repro CAR-15 stock. I think they had B5 Systems make it.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:44 PM

I feel your pain. I looked up weights of various components and came out with a semi-heavy 18" barrel build where I can have a form of fixed stock. I can change things around but I'm playing for a few ounces here or there. I'm at 7.3lbs currently.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:55 AM

Kdallas. Your with in the weight limit of 7.5 w/o a sling. I'm on notification notice with midway with a 20 in colt GI contour barrel (slim) , shopped around did find a new colt A4 16 in upper receiver from midway, and a colt A2 carry handle from Brownell . A Geissele hi speed national match trigger in route. Will be looking for a float tube for the 16 in barrel to install.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:12 AM

Yes, 7.3 and I dropped a QD sling mount on the scale (not mounted as of yet). I'm using a slick side Aero upper receiver and a MI lightweight handguard. Used this article as a start point for my build.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ry-discipline/

Bought a barrel for an SPR build and figured I could build something that could be scoped, irons, whatever. Was weighed with a magpul moe fixed stock but I have a carbine stock if I'm too close on their scale. I can also swap the rear sight for something with no elevation (like the DD 1.5) to drop even more weight if needed.