Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
The CMP has been known to offer upgrades to orders, especially when they are back-ordered.

What I am having trouble coming to terms with is your claim of ordering 3-2-21. There are great many of us who are still waiting for orders back into January or earlier.
Agreed, my order in since 02/10/2021, DBU 05/03/2021, nothing since, though a number of people are getting SG orders some for multiple rifles who ordered after me. Strange as CMP says somewhere on their site that they fill orders on first come first serve basis, but not always apparently.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:53 AM

One can only assume with the amount of orders they get in daily, that now and then a few get out of order? Who knows? I'm sure they are doing all they can. I just wish my order would fall on to someone's desk. lol
Old 05-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-OH View Post
One can only assume with the amount of orders they get in daily, that now and then a few get out of order? Who knows? I'm sure they are doing all they can. I just wish my order would fall on to someone's desk. lol
Think about the process CMP must have developed: Paper order packets, processed by people, relaying on many factors those order processing people can't control:
*New customers, more data entry
*What percentage of new customers send incomplete packets (I assume enough to cause the new customer orders to take longer because the CMP people must call/chase it down)
*Wait on BG check. Re-enter it because the DOB or SS# or address was mis-read because of handwriting (how many hand write the apps instead of fill out on PC?)
*Verify club membership. What percentage of repeat customers have this come up as a problem (including those who are current but their club didn't notify CMP)
*What portion of existing customers forgot to renew the 3-year notary, or moved and didn't get the new address notarized?
*Do orders with M1s + Ammo get processed at the same speed as M1s only? What is ammo is OOS, on expected in 3 or 30 days?
*Payment processing: Does CMP need to wait xyz days for a check to clear? How many people mis-write the CC#, or their handwriting is like mine and no one can read it? Or forgot to put enough $ in that account for this $1000+ purchase?

Each of those items takes time, from minutes to maybe days to resolve.
So, consider the CMP order number as just that, a number showing when you ordered. 2 people could make an identical order, received at the same time by CMP for the same, in-stock Garand and be days, weeks apart on receipt.
Once I understood that I stopped checking the estore every hour as that just adds weeks (or so it seems).

I also assume the the application with the most mistakes, worst handwriting and payment problems is the one just in front of mine. And that guy's 8 friends who also have poor handwriting and missing documents are in that stack before mine.

You order from Amazon and a robot process untouched by humans picks, collects, picks and ships your books. Buying firearms is simply more complex and requires more human contact so it will be less "orderly" if you think of an order number to be reflecting the order you get the goods.

Gotta go, I need to check my order status again :-)

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 05-09-2021, 02:31 PM

Congratulations OP, however, Had this been me I would of never announced it on the forum. This can, and probably will cause problems for the CMP. First, did a well intended employee deviate from their standards and now will have an issue with management?

Second and far more probable is the dozen or more phone calls the CMP will get next week. You will have people asking for exceptions, complaining of fairness, etc.

As they say, No good Deed goes unpunished.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Line View Post
Congratulations OP, however, Had this been me I would of never announced it on the forum. This can, and probably will cause problems for the CMP. First, did a well intended employee deviate from their standards and now will have an issue with management?

Second and far more probable is the dozen or more phone calls the CMP will get next week. You will have people asking for exceptions, complaining of fairness, etc.

As they say, No good Deed goes unpunished.
This is why I don't often post about rifles I pick out or receive, unless they are truly unusual (like receiving a roll-marked M1903Mark 1 with no ejection port - so far a one of a kind rifle).
Old 05-09-2021, 09:05 PM

And some of these remarks are why I didn’t/don’t post photos. Too easy to get wrapped up in who got what & why!
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 05-10-2021, 03:52 AM

Several years ago former CMP COO Orest Michaels stated that total CMP employment numbered at 70. This was prior to the opening of the TMP so the number is likely more now, but obviously only a fraction of the total is assigned to surplus rifle inspection and sales. It is understandable how temporary (hopefully) sales and shipping backlogs and other disruptions can occur.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
This is why I don't often post about rifles I pick out or receive, unless they are truly unusual (like receiving a roll-marked M1903Mark 1 with no ejection port - so far a one of a kind rifle).
Reminds me of the gent years ago who got a WW2 Collector Grade as his Luck of the Draw Collector Grade at a time when that kind of thing simply should not have happened.

If I recall correctly, he had to eventually return it.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis View Post
msmith5150 said it best....great score. years ago when an IHC was a far away dream..maybe not even available in the North or South Store, somebody got on the forum and posted that “could this be true” when a mail ordered SG SA was replaced with what was available at the time without an up charge....a SG IHC.
I placed an order for an IHC SG when they were available and then a couple months later I had to call to update my CC info as I had fraud and a new card issued. They staff were great! I apologized for having to call them... They then told me the IHC SG was backordered with no completion timeline but that they had an SA SG if I would like... I said sure... 5 minutes later I got a call back and was told they had an IHC FG if I was interested... I said sure thing... Got it in a few days and it was a great rifle... 3 TE and 3 ME... Everything except the hammer and receiver was SA but no complaints. Wood was great... The staff was great! If I hadn't called I would still be waiting... A+++ Support