Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post
If I ever get thumbed it will most likely be the left thumb. Left hand shooters don't really have the luxury of blocking the bolt like right handers do. Unless they want to dismount the gun to load it. Kinda tough to do in competition.

Eric

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
the reality is that it is a right handed rifle. if you choose to burden yourself by using the wrong hand the results are on you, not the rifle.

ID is not my rifle's s/n
Old 05-10-2021, 07:51 PM

Ouch! Hope you get a quick recovery, sir.

I have heard of someone somehow chambering one of their fingers while cleaning.

I have been practicing with dummy rounds and it looks like with a full clip, Garand Thumb is unlikely.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:09 PM

Not sure how I did this but I launched a cleaning rod across the garage once. Probably had the bolt just sitting on the follower, but it scared the excrement out of me. I think most thumb incidents are a result of not pulling the bolt back to lock properly and it catching on the follower. Second place would be easing back on the operating handle with the back of your hand while pushing on the follower. The action of pushing with the thumb kind of rocks your hand and it doesn't take much movement to release the op-rod. Glad you are ok.

Dave
Old 05-11-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
the reality is that it is a right handed rifle. if you choose to burden yourself by using the wrong hand the results are on you, not the rifle.
Burden??? I have always shot left handed, never had a problem doing so.

I have never thought that it would be the rifle's fault. It is what it is. When you operate the M1 properly there is no problem.

I have busted my thumbs with many items before so I really don't even think about getting it busted by the bolt.

Eric

Old 05-11-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJ50 View Post
If using a drill, is it advisible to steady your thumb in a vise, bite on a small piece of wood, try not to be a sissy and scream? Post before, during and after photos if possible.
I was going to demand pics or it didn't happen for levity, but like Bobs advice better. Really don't want to see pics anyway!
As a 20 year paramedic I have used the hot pin (catheter needle) method a few times on carpenters and roofers. Easy to control and fast.
Your in good hands with the wife!
Old 05-11-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShooter82 View Post
Burden??? I have always shot left handed, never had a problem doing so.

I have never thought that it would be the rifle's fault. It is what it is. When you operate the M1 properly there is no problem.

I have busted my thumbs with many items before so I really don't even think about getting it busted by the bolt.

Eric

yes, burden.

shooting a highpower match is challenging enough without shooting the rifle backwards.

that you choose to use the M1 when an AR would suffice seems an unnecessary burden.

or learn to shoot the Garand properly.

ID is not my rifle's s/n
Old 05-12-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
yes, burden.

shooting a highpower match is challenging enough without shooting the rifle backwards.

that you choose to use the M1 when an AR would suffice seems an unnecessary burden.

or learn to shoot the Garand properly.
I missed the part in the rules where I can shoot my AR in a Garand match.

As for shooting difficulty, there is none. You are making assumptions based on your apparent lack of ability to shoot a Garand left handed. Also if I was shooting it backwards I would undoubtedly shoot myself.

I did not ask for your opinion of my shooting ability, so go bother someone else who cares what you say.

Eric

Old 05-12-2021, 12:25 PM

I'm left handed and still don't see how this happens. Maybe I just have perfect technique!
Old 05-12-2021, 12:31 PM

Gotta agree with Sharpshooter.....shooting a Garand left handed is not a burden at all and I'm sure lots of folks do. I shoot all my rifles and shotguns left handed as that is natural for me. Loading the M1 with my right hand has also become natural as well. Plenty of right handers have also experienced their own "M1 thumb" as well
Old 05-12-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgrndpounder View Post
Holy cow Batman does that smart! Been messing with M1's since before my firsts purchase from the DCM back in the 90's. Took one out for some routine cleaning and in a lapse of better judgement slammed the bolt home on my left thumb. Amazing how fast the blood pools up under my thumb nail. It's been over an hour since the dreaded event and my thumb is still throbbing. Honestly I never thought it would happen to me. Hopefully the first and last time it happens. Stay safe fellas.
M1 toe dropped it on my toe one drunk nite!