Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2020, 03:26 PM

Default Italian M1D TS PARAFIAMMA M2 flash hider variants

Good Day All,
I was able to strike a deal and purchased a number of variants of the Italian PARAFIAMMA M2 marked cone hiders. In conversation with Italian collectors, most were parkerized but a small number were blued. One of the ones I have has a deep blue/black finish. All variants are marked with the Fabbrica d'Armi Terni (Italian Arsenal at Terni) or FAT stamp, with the year (56, 57 and 58) beneath.
Best Always,
Mike

Last edited by FlightRN; 02-07-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:28 AM

One of these rifles detailed in the latest issue of GCA just sold on Gunbroker for $5001.

I thought it might go for more than that.

I really wanted to bid but the budget in retirement said otherwise .
Old 11-13-2020, 09:02 PM

Can we see a picture of the two plaques on the barrel block and scope mount?
They appear to be the same number, but not sure if its the rifle (or scope's) serial number or something else? Thanks for these pics, I’d like to own a rifle like yours, it’s quite unique.

Last edited by Random Guy; 11-15-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:06 PM

Default Italian M1D TS rifle data plates/ importers

Good Day,

Like that majority of these rifles currently available, mine is not matching. It appears a large quantity of rifles have already been purchased by dealers (https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/64?page=1) and sold to collectors/shooters in Canada. At this time, the small quantity of rifles brought into the US have been sold on GB or by Classic Arms and are mismatched.

Matching examples are going to be few and far between with the exception of those collectors fortunate to have sorted through the exporters/importers warehouses. Mine was highlighted (like the one sold in November) in the Summer 2020 GCA Journal. A well documented backstory on the origins of these rifles was written by Mike Bernazzani in the article.

I'm hopeful that more Italian M1D TS examples will be offered in the future.

Best Regards.

Last edited by FlightRN; 04-02-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:53 PM

Not an Italian M1D, but I did purchase one of the Breda TIPO-2 rifles that they had. It is waiting my my FFL for me to pick up whenever I get home, so I have not fully inspected it, but do have several photos.......

https://imgur.com/a/UV1jRCb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightRN View Post
Good Day,

Like that majority of these rifles currently available, mine is not matching. It appears a large quantity of rifles have already been purchased by dealers (https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/64?page=1) and sold to collectors/shooters in Canada. At this time, the small quantity of rifles brought into the US have been sold on GB or by Classic Arms and are mismatched.

Matching examples are going to be few and far between with the exception of those collectors fortunate to have sorted through the exporters/importers warehouses. Mine was highlighted (like the one sold in November) in the Summer 2020 GCA Journal. A well documented backstory on the origins of these rifles was written by Mike Bernazzani in the article.

I'm hopeful that more Italian M1D TS examples will be offered in the future.

Best Regards.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the pics and additional info. So the plaques are the scope's serial #, which sort of goes along with European firearms manufacturing customs which is to serialize such things.

That's a great example you have, and I would be proud to own that unique variant of the M1D.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:50 PM

How much was Classic Arms selling these for?
Old 12-14-2020, 02:17 PM

UGH! Was kinda afraid someone would ask......$2,100.

Yeah. I know.

They announced them available on a Thursday, I think. I hemmed and hawed as I looked for the money. I called Classic and asked where they imported these from and how many they had. At the time of my call, the rep could only confirm that there were more than 10. I hemmed and hawed some more, then called the next day and placed the order. By Sunday or Monday, the page showed that they were sold out.

Now, these aren't just any old CMP M1 Garand. These are real, Italian/Breda made receivers in the 7.62x51 Nato Tipo-2 conversion configuration. These are just not seen, in the US, if so, very rarely.
I had pieced together an all Beretta and an all Breda Danish Contract rifles and even assemble a Tipo-2 from spare parts from my BM59SL project.So. having one of these really added to my collection.

For comparison, the Beretta and Breda Danish Contract builds cost close to $2,000 each (Buying all the parts, individually)

https://imgur.com/a/9STnjW0

You can see the "7.62-2" markings on the flat, just behind the rear sight and on the flat of the op rod.

Author Jim Thompson told me that no Tipo-2 ever left the armory in this original configuration. All of these were conversions done to rifles already in Italian inventory. As such, there is no "correct" parts configuration for them. They were done to Italian made receivers as well as USGI receivers.

Here is the Tipo-2 that I assembled on a USGI WWII receiver. Its a mix master, but does have a "FAT" marked stock and an SAIU 1967 Barrel.
https://imgur.com/a/Z3mCGX3 All of the butt stock cleaning gear is Italian as is the bayonet. Am into this rifle build for about $1,600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
How much was Classic Arms selling these for?
Old 12-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60chev View Post
UGH! Was kinda afraid someone would ask......$2,100.

Yeah. I know.

They announced them available on a Thursday, I think. I hemmed and hawed as I looked for the money. I called Classic and asked where they imported these from and how many they had. At the time of my call, the rep could only confirm that there were more than 10. I hemmed and hawed some more, then called the next day and placed the order. By Sunday or Monday, the page showed that they were sold out.

Now, these aren't just any old CMP M1 Garand. These are real, Italian/Breda made receivers in the 7.62x51 Nato Tipo-2 conversion configuration. These are just not seen, in the US, if so, very rarely.
I had pieced together an all Beretta and an all Breda Danish Contract rifles and even assemble a Tipo-2 from spare parts from my BM59SL project.So. having one of these really added to my collection.

For comparison, the Beretta and Breda Danish Contract builds cost close to $2,000 each (Buying all the parts, individually)

https://imgur.com/a/9STnjW0

You can see the "7.62-2" markings on the flat, just behind the rear sight and on the flat of the op rod.

Author Jim Thompson told me that no Tipo-2 ever left the armory in this original configuration. All of these were conversions done to rifles already in Italian inventory. As such, there is no "correct" parts configuration for them. They were done to Italian made receivers as well as USGI receivers.

Here is the Tipo-2 that I assembled on a USGI WWII receiver. Its a mix master, but does have a "FAT" marked stock and an SAIU 1967 Barrel.
https://imgur.com/a/Z3mCGX3 All of the butt stock cleaning gear is Italian as is the bayonet. Am into this rifle build for about $1,600.
I don't think that's too absurd for something that not many of us have ever seen.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:09 PM

Good Day,
To clarify, was Classic Arms selling the TIPO2 M1D variants from $2100 or were they selling the standard (non-sniper) for that amount?
Thank you