Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2021, 05:50 AM

The for sale section of this forum is one of your better bets. MOST guys on here aren’t trying to rip you off. Some lost some pretty unreal prices, but you can find the stuff for a better price here than anywhere. Gunshows are also a bet if you’re ready to buy in bulk and hand cash. I got 480 rounds of lake city for $450 a few weeks ago. Never thought I’d be happy to lay under a buck a round for it, but these are the times....
Old 03-02-2021, 04:19 PM

"I remember buying my first spam cans of clipped HXP from the CMP in 2009 for $60 ea."

This thread prompted me to look in my locker for HXP.... still have 3 spam cans I purchased from CMP for $55 each. Grin.

It is good ammo and more accurate than USGI Lake City surplus.

Need to get to the range and shoot it up now that the weather is getting warmer.

Rich
Old 03-02-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooMarine View Post
"I remember buying my first spam cans of clipped HXP from the CMP in 2009 for $60 ea."

This thread prompted me to look in my locker for HXP.... still have 3 spam cans I purchased from CMP for $55 each. Grin.

It is good ammo and more accurate than USGI Lake City surplus.

Need to get to the range and shoot it up now that the weather is getting warmer.

Rich
Sell 2 cans to purchase reloading equipment and components, and maybe keep one sealed can for a rainy day.

Personally, I would be selling all 3. Can't bring myself to shoot stuff that someone will pay $2+ per round for. (Opportunity cost.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 12:25 AM

I havenít visited any gun shows this year, some friends have attended and commented about the high prices. Last gun show I attended it was packed with people and merchandise, not much fun with that many people milling around. Bought a few Military Ammo cans at Omaha,nice ones no rust. $20.00 each, same can was $5.00 years ago, same quality.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:17 PM

That's nothing I was getting 1080 LC carbine ammo in the can with clips and bandoliers and 1350 boxed rounds without clips for $135.00 shipped. Look at it now, I've seen it go for $1000 a can. Sure glad I got my LC cans when I did, there will be no more.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:11 PM

HateCa at the gun show a metal military ammo can was selling for $50.00 empty with some rust. I think that CMP military ball is about dryer up unless that company in Anniston starts to go back into Production. I just back ordered 45/70 black power 20 round box 300gr. For $38.00. I hunt a classic deer hunt lots of fun. FMJ is not allowed in Texas to hunt deer, My 1903 Sporter belong to my Dad it has the Hatcher hole, I bought 30/06 150gr soft point deer load, glad I did, havenít seen it in years, federal use to sell it, it was on sale,I think $25.00 a box 20 rounds, only bought two boxes wish I had bought more.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:36 PM

I am starting to think the only way new guys will be able to get into reloading and shooting is to inherit from their fathers! I made the mistake of showing that gunbroker sale to the wife and asked if the item looked familiar. It did and she remarked about there being quite a few just like it in our spare room. She had some crazy idea about me selling it at that kind of price and using the money to buy a new kitchen counter top. Where do women get ideas like that!
Old 03-08-2021, 10:27 PM

22LR can be your friend at the range. Sure, throw some high power downrange, but practice trigger control et cet with smallbore - at least until prices come back to earth. I'll mention that some guys in Colorado made and were selling reloading kits for 22 LR a few years ago. Haven't looked for them lately.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:26 PM

Unless something bad happens, I expect that in the next six months stuff will start showing up again (perhaps longer, but its been a year of high prices). Just because previous ammo hoarding did this same kind of cycle, however, it could stay for a lot longer?
I sold some ammo for decent prices (not too high), but now I am thinking that maybe I should chill out and keep all When it was cheaper, but not really cheap 6 yrs of so ago, I bought a number of spam cans. The AYR was great and I bought half dozen or so, but stupidly sold it all before I moved.
I have thought of selling all my Garand M2 ammo, and stick with carbine, because I love the carbine But can't quite do it.

Last edited by weimar_police; 03-08-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
I'll mention that some guys in Colorado made and were selling reloading kits for 22 LR a few years ago. Haven't looked for them lately.
That would be Cutting Edge Bullets.

From another forum (LongRangeOnly.com):

"Primed brass will be ready and available from Cutting Edge Bullets (CEB) as well. So charge and seat the bullets. Very accurate scales are being tested now and may also be available from CEB. At some point they may even sell loaded ammo too.

Testing is under way for very high quality primed brass. The metering of primer compound and the way it is spun to distribute it is getting looked at hard. The goal and challenge for us will be low extreme spread in velocity. If we get that with a very high quality bullet, I think the ELR 22 world will be in for a nice surprise."

Check out their tongue-in-cheek video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfS0hgKyZQI

Seriously, here's their .22LR loading video (N.B. It's not "reloading," it's "loading" since you're using their virgin, primed brass supplied with their bullets):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPECnP6M0CA

Last edited by Nevada Smith; 03-09-2021 at 12:42 AM.