Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2021, 07:08 PM

Default 10M air rifles

Anyone have experience shooting 10m air rifle? I practice 4P with my Anschutz .22LR in my garage but itís only 48 feet long so some the positions get pretty short. Along with the price and availability of good .22 ammo Iam kicking around the idea of picking up a reasonable 10M air rifle. I know squat about them so any help would be great
Old 03-30-2021, 09:52 PM

I shoot a feinwerkbau 300s. I bought it new in `87 and have never had an issue with it (other than it takes a perfect head shot to kill a squirrel with it.). It's a side cocking spring gun. They're akin an Ans Mod 64 .22. They were state of the art up until about 1968 and used in the Olympics. You can find a used one last I looked in the $300-$400 range. Check over on some of the precision shooting sites and rimfire central. Modern compressed air guns are more state of the art, but they are also at least $1000 more.

The 300s is fine for me because I mostly shoot standing position with it in my basement. Purely informal target shooting. The side lever may prove problematic for you in other positions though.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:08 AM

You might give one of these a try. The used Daisy 853 Sporter Air Rifles are a deal:
https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service...er-air-rifles/
Old 04-22-2021, 02:58 PM

another place that precision shooters hang out a lot is www.targettalk.com

they have a "Want to Buy / Want to Sell" section too. That's where I bought a Steyr LP 2 air pistol, which is a great little precision air gun (actually pretty big).
Old 04-22-2021, 06:08 PM

I picked up a RWS Diana 75 side lever it has had the seals replaced already. I was mainly interested in working on my off hand.The 10m target is quite a challenge I can consistently hold the black-the best I’ve shot so far is 70. I think a guy could shoot sitting and kneeling without too much trouble but prone would be a challenge

Last edited by Griff557; 04-22-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:39 PM

If you want to practice your positions, a pump or break action is not very practical. My recommendation is a PCP like the Crosman Challenger, but it will require a air source, such as a high pressure pump, scuba tank or compressor. The pump works fine on the Challenger, particularly if you don't let it run empty before refilling. You could also go with a CO2 rifle like the Daisy 887.

Art
Old 04-23-2021, 09:26 AM

Totally agree. A used scuba tank is about a $90-$100 item, and an air fill of it is only $7-$10. One (air) fill will last you about 1000-3000 shots before you have to fill it again.

The CO2 fill costs are pretty similar, but the entry costs (for the equipment) are lower, because CO2 only fills to a pressure of about 1000 psi. Scuba and air gun cylinders operate at 3000 psi, so have to be made stronger. I teach scuba diving, and have 40+ tanks at home as well as my own scuba compressor, so the choice was an obvious one for me.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:37 PM

the various "Air Force" rifles out of Fort Worth ( I think) are pretty nice - a plus is you can get converters now to use the large CO2 cylinders with them. I have one I picked up fifteen or so --- no regrets at all.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:56 AM

If you go with a PCP air rifle, and look for a used scuba tank, be aware that some older tanks made with an earlier aluminum alloy can't be filled. One or two exploded back in the 90's, and ever since then you can't find a dive shop that will fill them. I think the "bad" tanks would be dated pre-2000, so anything after that would be OK.

For a scuba tank you need a hydro test every 5 years, and a visual inspection every year.

New tanks can be had on eBay for about $200. You need a DIN valve, not a K-valve, on the tank.

Edit to add: another thing to consider is the weight difference between your Anschutz and the air rifles you're considering. Shooting kneeling or offhand with a 10 pound Anschutz with an excellent trigger is different than a 6 pound air rifle with a much less refined trigger.

Last edited by TomA; 05-27-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:44 PM

Edit to add: another thing to consider is the weight difference between your Anschutz and the air rifles you're considering. Shooting kneeling or offhand with a 10 pound Anschutz with an excellent trigger is different than a 6 pound air rifle with a much less refined trigger.[/QUOTE]

I picked up a Diana 75 it weighs about the same as my 1407 Annie and has very similar ergonomics. I got the air rifle mainly to work on my offhand but I think I could shoot sitting or kneeling with it. The 10m target is quit a challenge my best score is 83 after some practice Iíve been averaging in the mid-upper 70ís