Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2021, 05:39 PM

Default OK, so I have two Remington 513T 22s

Guys,
I have two Remington 513T military rifles. Both are full of arsenal stamps, which I think is very cool.
The shape of the stocks are very different. The serial numbers are around 2,000 apart.
One has a very pleasing hand-hold shape for the hand and the other is more typical.
The question I have is are either of these standard? Is the one with the remolded hand-hold something done after the fact by someone?

thanks in advance for your feedback,
Rob

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rob30-06; 04-01-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob30-06 View Post
The lower rifle is closer to original than the other. Then the Army specced the Redfield 75 rear sight with the "P" series front sight, the comb was too high. Most were reprofiled during depot rebuild, and none too carefully. My second CMP 513T:

Rode hard and put away wet.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:58 PM

Interesting stocks on those 513T's, rob.

I've got several commercial 513T's and the stocks are somewhat different.

Last edited by Calfed; 04-02-2021 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:55 AM

only very early WWII production had the flutes - the altered combs were after production modifications , some performed by small arms repair shops + others performed by the users - only the 1941 - 1944 production were military trainers
others were used by base recreation , rifle teams , + ROTC - close to 70,000 produced on government contact - procurement lasted into the 1960's , post war were basically standard commercial models - original unmodified WWII are scarce , most are altered + parkerized during repairs + inspection -
Old 04-04-2021, 06:30 PM

There were a number of different modifications made to these rifles over the years. They were used by ROTC units for rifle training and for competitions. Some had the stock combs lowered. Some had rails inletted into the bottom of the stock for handstops. Some had much wider fore ends than others.

Some 513T stocks had front swivels in the bottom of the fore end near the end, while others had a metal piece with a series of holes inletted into the left side of the stock for attachment of the front swivel. This modification was often done with the rear swivel being attached to the left side of the butt.

I have seen a number of different stocks which had letters stamped into them from the various arsenals and rebuild facilities.

About 15 years ago, the CMP had a lot of these stocks available for sale at the Camp Perry store for around $8 each.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyrifleman View Post
Some 513T stocks had front swivels in the bottom of the fore end near the end, while others had a metal piece with a series of holes inletted into the left side of the stock for attachment of the front swivel. This modification was often done with the rear swivel being attached to the left side of the butt.
Received one of these on my second 513T:

The bottom (factory) swivel base is still in place. The side base is secured by two carriage bolts which are visible in the barrel channel when the stock is separated from the barreled action. The red outline on the butt shows where the rear swivel was located.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:48 AM

Guys,
Thanks for all the great feedback on these. Seems like quite a few were modified during use. Both of these have been thru arsenals multiple times.

Rob