Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2021, 06:53 PM

Default 300 Win Mag LC12

I have a lot of LC 12, 300 Win Mag brass. My question is do I have to back off the loads 5-10% like LC 308, and 30 06 brass or is it more Federal than Lake City. There is no crimp on the primer for this brass and it's very nice looking stuff. I am looking to load this for 200 grain bullets, and only for 600 yards or less, and not looking for hot loads or long distance shots. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:21 PM

Ray - the 300 WM I shot in the military was pretty hot - it was HSM 190gr. Navy ammo. Here's a great read on the 300 Win Mag military use BTW. I'd bet your LC casings are every bit as strong as needed for what you intend to do. I wouldn't hesitate as long you're within the guidelines. (I wouldn't worry about backing off one bit)

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-mk-248-mod-1
Old 04-03-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey6eod View Post
Ray - the 300 WM I shot in the military was pretty hot - it was HSM 190gr. Navy ammo. Here's a great read on the 300 Win Mag military use BTW. I'd bet your LC casings are every bit as strong as needed for what you intend to do. I wouldn't hesitate as long you're within the guidelines. (I wouldn't worry about backing off one bit)

I'm not Ray but I'm ASSUMING that he is referring to the difference in Military vs Civilian 308 case volume...... thus requiring a drop if going from Civ to Mil cases.................It's not a strength issue but a capacity question.

Ray: If that is your question...... I don't know........ but maybe work up as always and see?
Old 04-04-2021, 07:53 AM

Stop that ASSUMING Martin! (smile) I think we can both agree that for what he's intending (600yds and in - 200gr bullets) - his LC 300 WM brass should be just fine. Great brass, use it. Happy Easter.

Last edited by whiskey6eod; 04-04-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray leach View Post
I have a lot of LC 12, 300 Win Mag brass. My question is do I have to back off the loads 5-10% like LC 308, and 30 06 brass or is it more Federal than Lake City. There is no crimp on the primer for this brass and it's very nice looking stuff. I am looking to load this for 200 grain bullets, and only for 600 yards or less, and not looking for hot loads or long distance shots. Thanks in advance.
Weigh 10 cases and compare that figure to the weight of 10 commercial cases. More weight of empty brass = thicker case walls.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey6eod View Post

Basically this round will be for shorter range so there is no need for more power, but also less powder. I got in a bunch of these case and had to reject some for enlarged primer pocket (about 10%). A friend of mine was a sniper who told me that the rounds were nice but they had a few problems with the primers and that's what made me check-I'm lying I would check them anyway. Long story short I will document the rounds at each range between 100 and 600 to send with the rounds loaded. He was a UDT and current engineer so he can work up the range to the other six.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Weigh 10 cases and compare that figure to the weight of 10 commercial cases. More weight of empty brass = thicker case walls.
I will weigh them. I think I still have some Federal cases from my old rifle.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray leach View Post
I will weigh them. I think I still have some Federal cases from my old rifle.
Do you mind posting your results.....??
I have a bunch of that brass too and am curious about what you find as far as case capacity..............

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2021, 08:48 PM

Ditto - I'm curious as well on the LC. I have HSM, some Fed and Win commercial cases too I think - I'll throw 10 of each on the scale tomorrow if I can get around to it.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Do you mind posting your results.....??
I have a bunch of that brass too and am curious about what you find as far as case capacity..............

Thanks!
Will do. I was originally going to load half 200 FMJBT and half 173 Nat Match bullets. My buddy indicated he was more interested in the 200, so I will load the Nat Match in 30 06 instead. Where I live (in Austin) there is nothing worthy of anything above a 30 06 and I use a 257 Roberts to drop deer but I haven't been hunting in a while. I'll probably weigh the cases this week or next as I have about three things in the air right now.