Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Remington White box .22 ammo

As per the title line, what is that stuff going for these days as was sold by the CMP some years ago?

Same thing with the Eley Tenex they sold.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 AM

the Eley Tenex is still being sold on E-Store:
https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22ELYTNXPBRCK

look in the Ammo for sale thread for recent .22LR sales -- i recall seeing some white box ammo in there but may have be Winchester...
Old 04-07-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMedic View Post
the Eley Tenex is still being sold on E-Store:
https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22ELYTNXPBRCK

look in the Ammo for sale thread for recent .22LR sales -- i recall seeing some white box ammo in there but may have be Winchester...
Dave might be referring to the early 1980s Tenex the CMP sold in brick quantities at around the same time as the Remington White Box. In that case it wouldn’t be anywhere near the same quality or value as modern Tenex.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:53 AM

That is correct. It had a round nose bullet rather than the squared tip one with the little pin bump at the front that current production stuff has. It sold (from CMP at the time) for $9.95 per box (or maybe it was $95 / brick?) when Champ Choice was selling current Tenex for about $19. I thought that was a heckuva deal at the time.

I've not shot any of it but it would stand to reason that it isn't as good of a quality as more modern Tenex.

The Rem White box was priced around $125 / case at that same time. I shot a little of it, and quality was ok, but not as good as SV Wolf MT or ME (at least out of my Win 52-D). It's louder too, so I suspect it's supersonic.

Last edited by dave tengdin; 04-07-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Dave might be referring to the early 1980s Tenex the CMP sold in brick quantities at around the same time as the Remington White Box. In that case it wouldn’t be anywhere near the same quality or value as modern Tenex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave tengdin View Post
That is correct. It had a round nose bullet rather than the squared tip one with the little pin bump at the front that current production stuff has. It sold (from CMP at the time) for $9.95 per box when Champ Choice was selling current Tenex for about $19.

The Rem White box was priced around $125 / case at that same time.
Good to know, thank you for the education on this --didn't know that they changed the design...
Old 04-07-2021, 05:34 PM

The Remington white box as sold by the CMP was similar to their Thunderbolt line. But per military requirements it was a bit better in quality. Current price is ridiculous, I’ve seen 10 times what it should be!!
Old 04-07-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
The Remington white box as sold by the CMP was similar to their Thunderbolt line. But per military requirements it was a bit better in quality. Current price is ridiculous, I’ve seen 10 times what it should be!!
This. Although I will say maybe Remington Thunderbolt was a lot better in 1993-4 when the CMP stuff was made than it is now, because I’ve found the CMP stuff to have excellent accuracy. Unfortunately, the primers can be a bit iffy depending on the gun. I actually increased the mainspring a touch in my Bullseye .22 pistol to get it to where I only got one dud in about 500 or 1000 rounds. It was good enough to leg out in 22 EIC and I regularly cleaned targets with it. I think I had 30,000 rounds at one point(!) I still shoot what I have left in matches (instead of Lapua and modern Eley) and I’ll be bummed when I run out.

If I remember correctly there was speculation on the Forum that it was made under military contract for 22LR M16 trainers rather than match bolt guns.

The old 1980s Eley, on the other hand, was past its prime. The lubrication is incredibly important for accuracy and that had long ago evaporated and the lead was starting to oxidize even ten years ago.

Sorry to drone on here—I loved that old white box.