Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2021, 11:26 AM

Default Receiving a cmp 1911 with stippled frame

I received my rack grade 1911 last week, and it came with a stippled frame.
http://imgur.com/a/WhAI5Oo

What do you guys think if you ordered a rack, or any other grade and received one with a stippled frame? I am up in the air about how I feel about it, since rack grade (or any other grade) description doesn't mention possibly being modified or defaced depending on how you want to look at it
Old 06-07-2021, 11:29 AM

"Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts."

I would classify that as "wear on exterior surfaces and similar to pitting"

If you wanted something a little more pristine you shouldve ponied up for a field or service grade
Old 06-07-2021, 11:35 AM

That one might have seen some action. Pretty sure it didn't lay in a locker somewhere.

I like it.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Wouldn't be my first choice if I was hand picking, but that said if I received an '03 with a stipled buttplate and a Hatcher hole would I send it back? Not a chance...
Old 06-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Didn't the Marines stipple the butt plates of their M1903's like that? Could this be a Marine gun?
Old 06-07-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
"I would classify that as "wear on exterior surfaces and similar to pitting"

If you wanted something a little more pristine you shouldve ponied up for a field or service grade
It has wear and rust/pitting which is something I expected when I read the description before I ordered, and wear,rust, or wear isn't a fitting description of stippling.
Money was not an issue in my choice
Old 06-07-2021, 11:49 AM

That is interesting!
I bet if you contacted CMP1911 off the forum you could convince them that doesnít meet the grade description. That isnít wear.
However, If I was CMP1911 Iíd put that on the auction; I am sure it will be valuable to someone.
If I received that my 1st reaction would not be overly happy. But after a few minutes I would feel pretty good; to me that is a very unique pistol with a story to tell.
Iíll offer you $100 more than you paid plus any shipping/ffl fees. Seriously.

Jh

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 06-07-2021, 12:26 PM

When I was the 82ABN Ground Liaison Officer (GLO) to the 317th Tactical Airlift Wing, Pope AFB (Green Ramp) during Urgent Fury I retrieved a 1911A1 that has been left on an aircraft returning from Grenada. It had a stippled front strap, flat mainspring housing and Bomar sights. It was an issue pistol not belonging to the 82ABN. It was returned to the owning organization but all the ammunition they left behind I issued to 82ABN units that were heading south.

Airborne,
Mark
Old 06-07-2021, 12:28 PM

Yeah, looks like someone, probably a long time ago, took a hammer and chisel to the front of the frame. Maybe to make it a bit gripper in the hand? Would be cool if you could find out some story about it, like if it was something the guys from a particular small group all did with their GI 1911.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:32 PM

You can contact CMP1911 and discuss, although your options may not be to your liking. It’s certainly unique, and a variation not commonly encountered! I like it!!